Microsectional Analysis (Cross-Section)
Microsectional Analysis remains the most widely accepted means for analyzing the PCB/PWB plated through-hole integrity. A PCB is a combination of different types of materials such as glass, aramid fibers, kapton, copper, acrylic adhesive, epoxy, polyimide, Teflon, and solder. Each of these materials has a different relative hardness and, coupled with that of the mounting media such as epoxy or acrylic, makes the PCB microsection one of the most difficult to perform.
This process is further complicated by the fact that it is essential to complete the PCB cross-sectional preparation in an area within 10 percent of the center of the plated-through hole. Using the latest technology, NTS’s expert staff utilizes an automated coupon extraction station with a precision CNC router-cutter (milling tool) for drilling two positioning holes and extracting the test coupons. NTS can accurately cross section high-aspect ratio PCB’s including blind and buried via holes down to 0.001”, SMT devices and solder joints. Whether you require regular conformance Microsectional Analysis, Failure Analysis (F/A), vendor qualification, or lot verification, NTS has the experience and knowledge base to provide you with the highest quality and fastest turnaround available. All of NTS test inspection personnel for PCB and PCBA evaluation are certified to IPC-A-600 and IPC-A-610 visual acceptability standards.
- IPC-A-600 – Acceptability of Printed Boards
- IPC-A-610 – Acceptability of Electronic Assemblies
- IPC-6012 – Qualification and Performance for Rigid Printed Boards
- IPC-6013 – Qualification and Performance for Flexible Printed Boards
- IPC-6016 – Qualification and Performance for High Density Interconnect (HDI) on Layers or Boards
- IPC-6018 – Microwave End Product Board Inspection and Test
- IPC-TM-650 – Test Methods Manual
- MIL-PRF-55110 – Performance Specification – General Specification for Printed Wiring Board, Rigid
- MIL-PRF-31032 – Performance Specification – General Specification for Printed Circuit Board/Printed Wiring
- MIL-P-50884 – General Specification for Printed-Wiring, Flexible and Rigid-Flex
Microsectional Preparation and Analysis Training
In addition to our Microsectional Analysis test service, NTS can also provide your in-house staff with the training required to improve the quality of your PCB microsections with hands-on training either in our laboratory or on-site at your facility.