Vehicular Armor Testing
The Camden Operations Division of National Technical Systems (NTS), as a part of NTS’s Defense Group, has 20 years of experience performing destructive testing for the defense industry, and has recently been providing IED and mine blast test services to some of the nation’s premiere armor and armor systems developers. The Camden Operations Division, located in Arkansas, is able to assist armor manufacturers and developers to accurately assess the performance of current and new armor designs verses improvised explosive devices and mine blast threats.
- IED & EFP Testing
- Reactive armor and Arena Testing
- Bare charge and fragment Testing
– Air and ground vehicle
– Component, sub-system, full-up
- VPAM, AEP-55, STANAG
- Structural Blast
- Blast Containment
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Helmets, face-shields, vests
- RPG (static and dynamic)
Armor Testing at NTS Camden
Located within the 68,000-acre Shumaker Naval Ammunition Depot, NTS Camden is a full-service armor testing lab offering turnkey solutions to defense contractors from across the country. The compound features a 3000-meter large caliber firing range, a shoulder-fired rocket range and multiple warhead arena test areas.When performing IED and mine blast testing services, NTS Camden is fully equipped with a team of experienced test engineers that provides assistance in a number of ways including:
- Support throughout all aspects from fixture design to data reduction
- Experience in performing programs that range in size from individual armor plates to vehicle hull sections to full scale vehicle hulls
- Customization of explosive blast charges allowing adjustments to be made on-site and minimizing delays to the test program
- Capture test events using high speed video to determine the reaction of the test article and the force of the blast during the event
- Survivability determinations to the armor items being tested by conducting a thorough number of tests to collect ample amounts of accurate data
- IED and mine blast testing services
- Added availability and flexibility in scheduling with the expansion of the Camden Operations facility of two additional ranges
The NTS grounds in Kansas and Maryland provide:
- Ballistic testing ranges capable of full scale product testing.
- The use of Oehler Model 55 chronographs and Oehler Model 34 Ballistic Computers to guarantee accurate velocity measurements.
- A fully protected viewing room for testing observations.
- Ballistic resistant material impact testing.
The NTS facilities in Wichita, Kansas and Chesapeake, MD are fully capable of helping with expert testing on body armor, helmets, firearm locking devices, and stab testing.
Your Partner for Safety and Compliance
NTS Camden offers full support for a wide range of military programs and systems, including Javelin, Hydra, Claymore Mine and more. We have a long history of providing testing and compliance assistance to the defense industry, and we can help you achieve certification to MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-2105 and other related regulatory guidelines.
In addition to armor testing, we are fully equipped to provide climatic and dynamics testing, environmental simulation (including sand, dust and salt fog testing), functional trials and more. If multiple tests are required, we will determine the fastest and most cost-effective sequence possible. Count on our team for everything from one-off armor testing to complete project management solutions.
In everything we do,the Camden Operations Division and the entire Defense Group at NTS are dedicated to providing excellence in the testing of survivability systems that are instrumental in protecting our service men and women. NTS strives to assist developers and manufacturers of these survivability systems in bringing the best products possible into the defense market.
Contact us today for more information on armor testing services at NTS.