Ballistics & Insensitive Munitions
NTS's Camden, AR facility is an ITAR registered, highly responsive and affordable ordnance test and evaluation facility that provides the following services:
Ammunition, Weapons and Munitions Handling and Storage
NTS Camden provides AA&E handling and storage capability to support its orders and clients. The NTS Camden complex in Arkansas contains dozens of Class 1.1 rated AA&E storage magazines. These magazines are earthen-covered, igloo style bunkers complete with loading dock access. This capacity allows NTS to:
- Receive and store weapon systems, munitions and ammunition with ample capacity to store up to or beyond 60,000 pounds of Class 1.1 ordnance.
- Storage of explosive materials, munitions, and ammunition in DOD designed storage magazines in accordance with DOD Contractor’s Safety manual, 4145.26-M and DIS and BATF security requirements.
Safety and Insensitive Munitions Testing
The full set of Insensitive Munitions testing IAW MIL-STD-2105 and NATO STANAGS Safety and Insensitive Munitions (IM) series of tests on component and system level test articles. The fully instrumented test capabilities for this testing include:
- Slow Cook-Off with variable heating rates,
- Fast Cook-Off with multiple fuel sources,
- Multiple caliber Bullet Impact,
- 8300 ft/s Fragment Impact,
- Confined and unconfined Sympathetic Detonation,
- Shaped Charge Jet Impact,
- 28-day and 4-day Temperature & Humidity,
- Transportation Vibration – highway, shipboard, aircraft
- 12 meter Drop.
In addition to its multiple open test ranges/arenas, the Camden facility has over 35,000 square feet of enclosed climatic conditioning area and facility space. This allows for sequential or simultaneous Safety series and IM testing of AA&E items. This extensive facility infrastructure allows NTS to conduct parallel projects and tests for expedient testing of multiple items
Hazard Assessment testing IAW AOP-7, TB 700-2, and UN Transport of Dangerous Goods.
This includes harmonized IM and Hazard Classification tests to the latest version of TB 700-2.
Ballistic Test Ranges
Conditioned ammunition firing on our fully instrumented 300 meter and 3000 meter ballistic test rangesagainst a full spectrum of range and engagement azimuths. Weapons can be fired from a wide variety of improved, fully instrumented firing positions.
Multiple high speed digital video cameras are available at these ranges with typical framing rates to 160,000 frames per second (fps).
- Characterization, penetration, performance and functional arena testing including ITOP 4-2-813 and FM 101-51-3 Z-data to determine fragment mass and velocity spatial distributions to support lethality assessment.
- Comprehensive environmental testing IAW MIL-STD-810 of component and full scale all up rounds including vibration, shock, temperature, humidity, altitude, blowing rain, sand and dust, fungus, and pyrotechnic shock.
- MIL-STD-331 Fuze and Fuze Systems testing including Jolt, Jumble, Environmental, and ESD.
Camden Operations maintains the necessary licenses and permits to store and handle energetic defense technology, including:
- ATF Type 33 License – User of High Explosives
- ATF Type 10 License – Manufacturer of Destructive Devices
- Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality Permit
- DOT Hazardous Material Certification
- Arkansas Department of Health Radiation Permit (X-Ray)
- Compliant to ISO/IEC 17025 (Quality)
- Compliant to DoD 4145.26M Contractor Explosive Safety