NTS ramps up capabilities and capacity to support pandemic recovery, the Race to Space, DOD modernization, industry expansion and the nation’s infrastructure renewal plans
Anaheim, California, (May 27, 2021). NTS, the leader in testing, inspection, and certification solutions in North America, is pleased to announce that it has expanded its testing capabilities and capacity with a multi-million-dollar investment during the first half of 2021. NTS has secured multiple high-performance shakers and dual shaker systems, constructed several new EMI/EMC chambers, expanded both indoor and outdoor munitions and ordnance ranges, built new customer areas to support in-person test witnessing, and enhanced network hardware and infrastructure systems. With 28 labs in North America, the multi-million-dollar investment enhanced testing capabilities at every NTS lab in the United States and Canada. This massive investment is critical for helping customers as they emerge from the pandemic and face the challenges in their respective sectors.
As the pandemic shifts into recovery mode, testing is expected to speed up as the Race-to-Space accelerates, DOD Modernization is prioritized, and the nation’s infrastructure renewal plans take shape. This bold investment in the first half of 2021 ensures NTS is positioned to take on the emerging customer demand for innovation, capability and capacity at any of its facilities across North America. The investment includes the following:
- Shaker and Dual Shaker Systems: More than 8 additional shaker or dual shaker systems have been added to NTS, increasing both capacity and capabilities of dynamics testing at test labs across the country. In Santa Clarita, CA for example, NTS’s space lab added a new large-force T4000 dual shaker system that can reach 80,000 force pounds. In Rocket City, Huntsville, AL, NTS added a T4000 shaker that is capable of testing three axes sequentially while providing improved coherence for both classical and pyrotechnic shock testing. At Orange County’s premier test lab in Fullerton, CA, the investment in new equipment increased capacity to a total of 16 electrodynamic and hydraulic shakers with up to 10 inches of displacement, 200 IPS velocity and up to 40,000 lbf in a single and 80,000 lbf dual configuration. In Tempe, the addition of a new 24,000 lbf, 3.0-inch displacement shaker will significantly enhance the local capability to meet the market demand for high level shock and vibration.
- EMI/EMC Chambers: At New England’s premier test lab in Boxborough, MA, the investment grew the total EMI/EMC chamber capacity from eight to ten and added two EMI testing ground planes. New contemporary customer spaces for in-person test witnessing are also incorporated into the buildout. The NTS Boxborough lab now boasts the most EMI/EMC chambers in the area including a 43’ x 23’ chamber with a 12’ x’ 12’ door uniquely suited to serve complex, large defense projects. These capabilities meet the most extreme testing challenges for aviation, space and the military.
- Munitions and Ordnance Ranges: In Camden, AR, the NTS center-of-excellence for testing a wide variety of weapon systems, ordnance, rocket motors and hazardous materials added a new climate controlled, all enclosed, indoor dual-shaker facility utilizing two MB C220 shakers with a combined 70,000 force pounds, staged on a 500,000lb reaction mass to test large scale explosive items, addressing the evolving extreme vibration test requirements for the Defense Industry. This new additional capability allows the DOD as well as weapons manufacturers meet the pressing testing demands of this sector. Along with this addition, two new climate controlled, indoor ballistic ranges were added in our state-of-the-art multi-protocol, multipurpose ammunition and firearms test facility in Chesapeake, MD further expanding capacity in this high-demand sector.
- Customer Areas: All facilities have made changes necessary in customer areas to address proper COVID protocol. Labs in Santa Clarita, CA, Chesapeake, MD, Boxborough, MA and Silicon Valley, CA have even added new, modern customer areas to their respective campuses ensuring an optimal customer experience.
- Network Hardware and Infrastructure: Hundreds of new network hardware and equipment have been installed. Additionally, numerous network infrastructure enrichments and software improvements have been deployed to modernize customer and company communications channels for secure and timely information exchange.
This substantial investment is critical for helping customers and ensuring their success. With this investment NTS can continue its 60-year history of delivering unparalleled innovation, convenience, resources, and expertise for the testing needs of space, defense, aviation, telecommunications, medical, energy, and automotive manufacturers.
This diverse and rich history highlights the undisputed industry leadership of NTS in performing robust, complex testing. As a winner of the 2019 NASA Space Award—and with decades of history in extreme environmental and dynamics testing—NTS is the world’s most trusted test lab. “This significant investment in the year of our 60th anniversary demonstrates our multi-decade commitment to our customers ensuring we meet their demands for innovation, capability and capacity while offering them the best test experience possible,” said Hector Paez, COO, at NTS.
About National Technical Systems
National Technical Systems, Inc. (NTS) is the leading provider of qualification testing, inspection, and certification services in North America, serving a broad range of industries, including the civil aviation, space, defense, nuclear, telecommunications, industrial, electronics, medical, and automotive end markets. Since 1961, NTS has built the broadest geographic presence in the United States, offering more than 70 distinct environmental simulation and materials testing categories, including climatic, structural, dynamics, fluid flow, EMI/EMC, lightning, product safety, acoustics, failure analysis, chemical, and other industry-specific tests.
Operating through a network of more than 27 technologically advanced testing laboratories, this geographically diverse footprint puts NTS facilities in close proximity to its more than 8,000 clients, allowing NTS to serve the nation’s most innovative companies with industry-leading accessibility and responsiveness. NTS is accredited by numerous national and international organizations and operates its inspection division under the Unitek brand, providing a wide range of supply chain management services. NTS’ certification division, which operates under the NQA brand, is one of the largest and most respected global ISO registrars, with active certifications in more than 75 countries. For additional information about NTS, visit our website at www.nts.com or call 800-270-2516.