Santa Clarita, CA
T: 661.259.8184 | F: 661.254.4814
Jeffry Schutt - General Manager
NTS Santa Clarita – The Proving Grounds for Our Aerospace and Commercial Partners
From small component level testing to massive complex system simulation, NTS Santa Clarita meets the most extreme testing challenges for military and aerospace projects and programs. These key client partners trust NTS to streamline the testing, verification and evaluation processes to reduce cycle time and bring their products to market faster, and so can you.
Spanning more than 150 acres, NTS Santa Clarita is one of the largest test facilities in the U.S. There’s nothing small about our capabilities either:
- 50-foot diameter centrifuge with more than 200 slip ring channels.
- 5000 cubic foot acoustic chamber.
- 1500 cubic foot space simulation chamber.
- Fuel Component Testing site – to develop and qualify fuel line parts and subsystems in support of aerospace and military partners to critical parts qualification requirements, including RTCA DO-160 and Mil-Std-810.
We’ve added a stand-alone, water-in-fuel, fuel icing test stand equipped to perform testing in accordance with SAE ARP 1401 adn MIL-F-8615D on aerospace fuel system components, systems and subsystems; along with a neighboring test stand designed to run contaminated fuel testing in accordance with MIL-F-8615D and SAE ARP 8615. Learn more now!
From launch-level acoustics to climatic environmental and space simulation to hazardous vibration and acceleration, NTS has the proven track record and expertise to accurately monitor equipment response and performance during the most extreme test environments.
Our vibration test facilities feature more than a dozen electrodynamic and hydraulic shaker systems with ratings of up to 60,000 force pounds. Digital control systems and multiple channel instrumentation simulate random, sinusoidal, SOR and other vibration environments. In addition, NTS can support your test programs for combined temperature, vibration and humidity environment. Acoustics facilities also include four reverberation chambers and four progressive wave tubes.
Acoustics and Dynamics Testing Highlights
- Acoustic Test Facility
- 5,000 cubic foot reverberation chamber.
- 1,400 square foot High Bay.
- Class 100K (ISO Class 8) Clean Room.
- M+P and PAK closed loop control systems and 100+ instrumentation channels (microphones, accelerometers, force sensors, strain gages and more).
- Progressive wave and reverberant chambers feature emission measurements or high-level noise.
- Reverberant sound levels to 167 dB; greater than 174 dB using progressive wave tube.
- 4 reverberation chambers: 90, 126, 190 and 5000 cubic feet.
- 4 progressive wave tubes.
- Vibration Test Facilities:
- 25,000 square foot vibration facility.
- 15-ton crane serving 2 Ling 340 shakers, 30,000 force lbs. each: 60,000 force lbs. when connected in dual shaker mode, 4 to 3,000 hertz.
- Class 100K (ISO Class 8) Clean Room.
- M+P and Vibration Research Closed Loop Control Systems, 100+ Instrumentation Channels (Accelerometers, Force Sensors, Strain Gages).
- Over one dozen vibration exciters from 6,000 to 45,000 force lbs.
- Random, swept sine, sine-on-random and random-on-random.
- High velocity servo hydraulic system with 9 inch stroke, 10,000 force-lb. DC to 500 Hz.
- Combined thermal and vibration testing, including cryogenic.
- Shock – Classical half fine, trapezoidal, haversince and TP Sawtooth.
- Pyroshock – Shaker simulated, metal to metal impact and true ordnance.
- Slosh and vibration table with 2,000 lb payload.
- Up to 400 Gs from 2, 10 and 25 foot radius; 200 channels of slip rings.
- Centrifuge load capacity up to 5,000 lbs.
The technical experts at Santa Clarita have extensive experience in performing a range of engineering and testing services. It’s the kind of unique insight gained from more than 30 years of supporting major aerospace and defense-related programs. Our program resume features:
- Space Shuttle
- MX Peacekeeper
- International Space Station
- Mars Rover
NTS Climatic and Space Simulation covers demanding test requirements with combined environments of temperature, altitude and humidity from -70°F to +350°F in chambers up to 28′ x 16′ x 15′. Our sand and dust chamber provides wind velocities to 4400 FPM for sand/dust erosion testing. Thermal vacuum chambers to 10 feet in diameter can handle temperature extremes from -320°F to 1000°F with combined ambient pressures of 1 x 10 -8 TORR. Salt fog, sulfur dioxide (SO2) and Chopper Chloride chambers are sized up to 6′ x 10’ x 8′. Finally, explosive atmosphere chambers can simulate 100,000 feet and temperatures to -320°F. Testing capabilities at Santa Clarita include:
- 8′ x 8′ x 10′ salt fog chamber.
- 1500 cubic foot thermal vacuum chamber (10′ diameter by 12′ long).
- Multiple temperature/humidity chambers from 2′ x 2′ x 2′ to 25′ x 25′ x 15’H.
- Combined environmental temperature and vibration facilities.
- Temperature/altitude chamber up to 900 cubic feet; 80,000′ altitude.
- Large drive-in temperature/humidity chambers.
- Temperature chambers up to 40′ x 60′ x 15’H.
- Explosive atmosphere chamber: 6′ diameter by 20′ long.
- Rapid and explosive decompression: 10 to .01 mil/sec.
- Sand and dust facility, salt fog and SO2 chambers up to 10′ x 10′ x 8′.
- Hail strike: 800 ft/sec and wind-driven rain up to 70 MPH.
- 10′ x 10′ solar radiation heating effects.
The team at Santa Clarita has a thorough understanding of your mechanical, fluid and gas testing needs, providing:
- Pressure, temperature and flow capabilities to meet extreme testing environments with gas and liquids.
- Media testing, including air, water, seawater, oils, fuels, solvents, cryogenic liquids and others as needed.
- Computer based data acquisition and control systems tailored to your application via modular hardware and software systems to meet your automation and data recording requirements at minimum cost.
At NTS Santa Clarita, you will find one of the world’s most comprehensive pneumatics testing facilities. In addition, our engineers are highly skilled at providing you with all of the hydraulics, mechanical and hazardous flow testing you need to ensure the safe operation of your systems and components — especially those of a mission-critical nature that are required to perform in challenging circumstances.
Our pneumatic, hydraulic, mechanical and cryogenics capabilities include:
- Three test legs – two at 450 GPM and one at 600–900 GPM with -70°F to 135°F fuel temperature and fuel polishing capability to NAS Class III.
- Ability to design complex multi-system tests, including low and/or pressure testing at temperature to include ramp rates of 5°C/min while unit is undergoing vibration or environmental testing.
- State-of-the-art DAC system with ability to record up to 100 channels.
- The only test lab in Southern California to conduct fuel icing testing in strict accordance with MIL-F-8615D and SAE-ARP 1401, and to provide NAS Class V fuel cleanliness.
- Fuel icing pad containing three legs with a maximum flow of 300 GPM (150 GPM in current configuration).
- Karl Fischer titration to verify water content.
- Airslab with multiple test bays across the facility; up to 350lbs/min at 300 PSI flow.
- Three, 3.9 million BTU heaters that can heat air up to 1500°F at heater outlet and 1200°F at UUT.
- 6,000 psig gaseous nitrogen and helium at high flows with helium recovery system to reduce costs.
- Ability to build custom fuel test setups, from 1 gpm to 100+ gpm with high aromatic contents (e.g. toluene) and a mix of air and fuel, such as air/fuel heat exchangers and fuel/hydraulically actuated air flow valves.
- Multiple Skydrol mules for pressure up to 10,000 psi and up to 40 gpm.
- High flow water testing up to 3,000 gpm at ambient conditions.
Contact us today to discuss your next program!