T: 256.837.4411 | F: 256.721.0144
Robert Bridges - Operations Manager
Product Testing for the Nuclear Power, Aerospace, DoD and Commercial Industries
NTS Huntsville, formerly Wyle Laboratories, provides support, testing and engineering services for the design of specialized test equipment, including the WAS 3000 and WAS 5000 Acoustic Noise Generators and test facilities. The facility has a “Hot Shop”/Radioactive Material License, and features world class high-flow steam and water capabilities and on-site engineering and failure analysis.
NTS Huntsville’s reputation as a testing laboratory is unparalleled. It is a recognized leader in independent environmental testing and has supported the aerospace, defense, nuclear energy, telecommunications, transportation and voting systems industries for more than 50 years. This 115.6 acre, 238,196 square foot facility has qualified more equipment than any other company in the industry. Our technical staff lends a broad base of expertise to any program. Many employees are members of IEEE SC2 Working Groups and ASME OM-1 and QME-1 Committees to support nuclear industry standards.
NTS Nuclear Center of Excellence
Huntsville is home to NTS’ Nuclear Center of Excellence, including recently merged services from the Acton, Massachusetts facility. NTS offers nuclear utilities and suppliers worldwide superior customer service via a full range of engineered services. Testing, equipment qualification, commercial grade dedication, engineering solutions, component supply and field services are provided under our NUPIC and NIAC audited 10CFR50 Appendix B quality program.
As part of our core competency, NTS focuses on the selection of new nuclear grade components, their qualification, and if needed, their dedication for safety-related applications. We currently offer qualified replacements for many electrical and mechanical safety-related components that are no longer available from OEMs.
NTS certifies equipment for Class 1E installation for mild or harsh environments to IEEE 323 and IEEE 344. These systems include instrumentation, digital recorders, batteries, gauges, motors, panels and chillers from manufacturers such as Bussman, Siemens, Yokogawa and GE. NTS can also provide engineering evaluations to determine the best potential replacement from over 200 manufacturers of nuclear grade equipment. With a focus on solving plant needs, NTS leads the industry in digital upgrades, MCC bucket replacements, motor rewinds, governor rebuilds, modifications to or design of replacement safety-related systems and instrumentation panel and component design. All programs are conducted in accordance with 10CFR50 App. B and 10CFR21.
Nuclear Engineering & Test Services
- Safety Relief Valve Testing: ASME Code verification, set pressure, seat leakage, and operability, steam/water/air
- Valve Qualification: QME1, hot and cold cycle testing, flow interruption testing, steam/hot water, modal testing
- Equipment Qualification Testing: Functional testing, thermal aging, cycle aging, seismic event simulation, accident (LOCA) simulation
- Third-party Qualification/Commercial Grade Dedication: Dedicated parts inventory
- Custom Fluid Components Testing: Heat exchangers, pumps, strainers/debris, jet impingement
- Equipment Qualification Services: Failure analysis, thermal and radiation analysis, qualification plan development
- Snubber Testing: Snubber removal and re-installation, visual inspection, on-site and in-house functional testing, on-site and in-hour repair
- Strain Gage Installation: Strain gauge electrical preparation, strain gauge installation to monitor vibration for power up rate activities
Aerospace, DoD and Commercial Sector Testing
NTS Huntsville has on-site engineering, fabrication and qualification capabilities with a wide range of electrical power loads plus fault/surge conditions as well as over 50 environmental chambers, up to 55′ x 37′ x 15′.
Environmental, Dynamic & Structural Testing
- Climatics: Temperature/Humidity, Temperature Shock, Altitude/Solar, Sand/Dust, Salt Fog, SO2, Wind and Rain, Fungus, Explosive Atmosphere, Ice/Hail
- Fluid Flow: Air, Water, Hydraulics, Pneumatics, Fuels, Steam, Cryogenics
- Acoustics, High Intensity Acoustic Noise, Progressive Wave Acoustic Noise
- High Intensity Sound Special Equipment
- HALT / HASS
- Vibration: Electrodynamic, Electrohydraulic – uniaxial, biaxial and triaxial, payloads up to 75,000 lbs
- Shock: Classical shock, Shock synthesis, MIL-S-901D light weight shipboard high impact shock
- Pyroshock: Ordnance to 50kg and 20,000 Hz, Electrodynamic to 2kg and 10,000 Hz
- Drop and Pre-Accelerated Drop: Half-sine, terminal-peak sawtooth, square wave. 3,000g amplitude, 100ms envelope, 4′ x 4′ speciment
- Parallel Pendulum: Half-sine, terminal peak sawtooth, square wave. 100g maximum amplitude, 60 ms envelope, 8′ x 8′ specimen footprint
- Structural Load
Test and certify compliance to FCC, DoD and other industry standards to include:
- FCC Parts 15/18
- SAE J1211, J1113
- EIA/TIA 571, 470
- EPRI TR-102323
- IEC EN 61000 Series
- Nuclear Regulatory Guide 1.180
- Accelerometers, Humidity/Temperature, Pressure, DC/Low Frequency, Dimensional/Frequency, Mass/Resistance, pH/Torque
- 10CFR50 appendix B compliance
- ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994
- NIST Traceable
Why Choose NTS Huntsville?
- More than 50 years of experience in testing and management of test projects
- A Quality Assurance Program registered to ISO 9001
- A Nuclear Quality Assurance Program meeting all requirements of 10 CFR Part 50 Appendix B and 10 CFR Part 21
- Testing capabilities accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 by the American Association of Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA). ISO/IEC 17025 details the quality, data and calibration processes necessary for the conduct of testing services
- Experienced field inspectors, some of which are trained by the International Association of Electrical Inspectors
5S at NTS Huntsville
Click here to download the NTS Huntsville fact sheet for more details on specifications, tests, and capabilities. Contact us today to discuss your next program!