T: 256.837.4411 | F: 256.721.0144
Gary Dennis - Operations Manager
Massive World-Class Test Facility Drives Innovation in Rocket City
Located in Rocket City, the NTS Huntsville campus is a massive 238,196 square foot laboratory, which specializes in large-scale and custom testing for the defense, nuclear, commercial, telecommunications, transportation, space, and aerospace sectors. The state-of-the-art facility is home to the following:
- EMI/EMC Testing to EPRI, Nuclear Regulatory, FCC, and DoD Standards
- 50+ Environmental Simulation Chambers/Systems
- Advanced Dynamics & Structural Load Testing
- High-Flow Steam & Water Capabilities
- Acoustic Noise Chamber Testing, Design, Refurbishment
- NTS’s Nuclear Center of Excellence
- Advanced Calibration Services
This 115.6 acre facility has qualified more equipment than any other company in the industry. Staffed by industry experts, many employees are members of IEEE SC2 Working Groups, ASME OM-1, and QME-1 Committees to support nuclear industry standards. Take a moment to read the following information to see what makes the Huntsville laboratory special.
A Higher Standard for EMI/EMC Testing
NTS is the worldwide leader in EMI/EMC testing—and the Huntsville laboratory leads the way with the following services:
- Radiated Susceptibility ~ 200 V/m, Frequency Range 10 kHz to 40 GHz,
- HIRF Testing 100 MHz – 18 GHz to 7200 V/m pk
- Radiated Emissions ~ 30 Hz to 40 GHz
- Large Semi-Anechoic Screen Room
- High Temperature Vehicle Exhaust System
- Five MIL/AERO Semi-Anechoic Chambers
- Extended Ground Plane Test Beds
- Indirect Lightning-Single Stroke, Multiple Stroke, Multiple Burst, Level 5 DO-160
- AC & Telecom Port Surge, Electrical Fast Transients, Ring-wave, and Bust Testing
- Electrical Power Characteristics Testing
- Airborne Acoustic Noise and Structure-Borne Noise
- Antenna Characterization
- Shielding Effectiveness, Transfer Impedance
- Electrostatic Discharge to 30 kV
- Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) to 50 kV/m
- RADHAZ Analysis
- AC Power Fault
With the world’s top EMI/EMC experts, customers get easy access to top thought leaders. Contact us today—and discover what it means to test to a higher standard.
We Can Simulate ANY Environmental Condition on Earth—and Beyond
With 50+ environmental simulation chambers and systems, the NTS Huntsville lab is able to simulate any condition on earth—and beyond. Large chambers up to 55′ x 37′ x 15′ are used to simulate anything from temperature, humidity, temperature shock, altitude, solar, sand, dust, salt fog, SO2, wind, rain, fungus, ice, hail, and more. Take a moment to talk to the world’s top environmental testing experts—and learn how we can create the conditions you need to test your product in a real-world environment.
When it is time to verify that products are ready for real-world applications, you can count on a wide selection of advanced dynamics and structural testing services. This is particularly beneficial for mass-produced motorized products such as components intended for use in vehicles, aircraft, and other machines where reliability is critical. Regardless of your industry, you can get expert services in the following areas:
- Vibration: Electrodynamic, Electrohydraulic (Uniaxial, Biaxial, and Triaxial, Payloads to 75,000 Pounds)
- Shock: Classical shock, Shock synthesis, MIL-S-901D Light Weight Shipboard High Impact Shock
- Pyroshock: Ordnance to 50kg and 20,000 Hz, Electrodynamic to 2kg and 10,000 Hz
- Drop and Pre-Accelerated Drop: Half-Sine, Terminal-Peak Sawtooth, Square Wave 3,000g Amplitude, 100 MS Envelope, 4′ x 4′ Speciment
- HALT / HASS
- Parallel Pendulum: Half-Sine, Terminal Peak Sawtooth, Square Wave 100g Maximum Amplitude, 60 MS Envelope, 8′ x 8′ Specimen Footprint
- Structural Load Testing
The engineers at the Huntsville laboratory specialize in a wide range of acoustics testing, including high intensity acoustic noise and progressive wave acoustic noise. The engineers at the lab provide support, testing, and engineering services for the design of specialized test equipment, including the WAS 3000 and WAS 5000 Acoustic Noise Generators, Many industries require the accurate measurement of the level of sound that products emit in order to adequately protect technicians, users and others in close proximity to the noise the equipment produces.
At NTS Huntsville, we regularly conduct acoustic noise testing to meet the requirements of regulatory bodies like OSHA, telecommunications companies like AT&T and Verizon, medical equipment regulators, and business equipment regulators. We also help companies comply with the standardization of military and defense equipment. Industry standards that cover acoustic noise testing include: ISO 9296, ISO 7779, ISO 3744, GR-63-CORE, ETSI EN 300 753, IEC 60601, and MIL-STD-1474D (previously MIL-STD-740).
High-Flow Steam, Water, and Air
At NTS Huntsville, we offer a comprehensive selection of services including engineering, analysis, and robust testing of equipment, such as motor operated valves (MOVs) intended for use in operating environments of high-flow steam and water. Fluid flow capabilities at the laboratory encompass wide range of areas, including pneumatic, hydraulic, fuels, steam, cryogenics, and more. With testing expertise that can help you throughout the entire lifecycle of your products, you get everything from evaluating prototypes for OEM qualification to troubleshooting high-flow steam and water valves already in use. Contact us today—and learn how you can get the expert testing you need.
NTS Nuclear Center of Excellence
The Huntsville laboratory is home to NTS’s Nuclear Center of Excellence. Key services include the following:
- Safety Relief Valve Testing and Certification Services (ASME OM Code, Set Pressure, Seat Leakage and Operability with Steam/Water/Air, and Repair Support)
- Valve and other Fluid Component Testing Services (ASME QME-1, Hot and Cold Cycle Testing, Flow Interruption, Deflection and Modal Testing, Steam/Water/Air)
- Snubber Inspection, Testing and Refurbishment Services (ASME OM Code, Removal, Installation, Inspection, Repair, Refurbishment)
- Equipment Qualification Engineering and Testing Services (Radiation Aging, Thermal Aging, Cycle Aging, EMI, Seismic, and Accident (LOCA) Simulation)
- Safety Related Equipment Supply and Third Party Qualification (NTS is the Exclusive Provider of Yokogawa Instruments and Replacement Parts)
The lab has a Radioactive Material License and is audited by the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission (USNRC), Nuclear Procurement Issues Committee (NUPIC), and Nuclear Industry Assessment Committee (NIAC). The lab offers full service engineering and testing organization to support electrical and mechanical equipment qualification to the requirements of 10CFR50.49 and IEEE Standards 323 and 344. Services include qualification plan development including aging analysis, complete functional testing, thermal and cycle aging, seismic and accident testing, qualification test report preparation, and more.
The Huntsville laboratory has offered calibration and metrology services, including the operation of a Type 1 Metrology Laboratory for NASA, for decades. With a trusted team of experts, the lab offers the following:
- Accelerometers, Humidity/Temperature, Pressure, DC/Low Frequency, Dimensional/Frequency, Mass/Resistance, pH/Torque
- 10CFR50 appendix B compliance
- ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994
- NIST Traceable
Speak to a testing expert today to learn more about the full suite of calibration services offered in Huntsville, AL.
International Approvals and Certification
Getting your product into international markets can be difficult—particularly during a pandemic. Plus, geopolitical dynamics fundamentally change the type of markings you might need to get your product into a new country. In the UK, for example, Brexit means that you will need a UKCA marking to sell your product. Meanwhile, new criteria for your product in Russia, Ukraine, India, Brazil, Egypt, and the United Arab Emirates is necessary. Are you aware of these changes? The good news is that a team of experts is dedicated to helping you track every minor change to help you secure regulatory approval in global markets. The goal is to streamline the process for entering international markets to avoid delays and duplicative testing. The international approval services include the following:
- A Single-Point-of-Contact for 180 Countries
- In-country Testing and Approvals
- Globally Recognized Test Reports
- In-Country Representation
- On-going Compliance Tracking
- Compliance Strategy for Faster Certification
Take a moment to view the animation below about streamline international approvals—and let the experts at the Huntsville lab accelerate your entry into key global markets.
Why Choose NTS Huntsville?
With top engineers and unmatched expertise, you get to experience the NTS difference. Testing capabilities accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 by the American Association of Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA). ISO/IEC 17025 details the quality, data, and calibration processes necessary for the conduct of testing services. Plus, you get to work with engineers who adhere to a higher standard of excellence. Contact us today to experience how a world-class operation can help you simplify the testing process.