T: 256.837.4411 | F: 256.721.0144
Robert Bridges - Operations Manager
NTS Huntsville — Providing Product Testing for the Nuclear Power, Aerospace, DoD and Commercial Industries
At 238,000 square feet, NTS Huntsville — our largest laboratory space — specializes in large-scale and custom testing for the defense, commercial, nuclear and aerospace sectors.
Additionally, NTS Huntsville, provides support, testing and engineering services for the design of specialized test equipment, including the WAS 3000 and WAS 5000 Acoustic Noise Generators and test facilities. The facility has a “Hot Shop”/Radioactive Material License, and features world class high-flow steam and water capabilities and on-site engineering and failure analysis.
NTS Huntsville’s reputation as a testing laboratory is unparalleled. It is a recognized leader in independent environmental testing and has supported the aerospace, defense, nuclear energy, telecommunications, transportation and voting systems industries for more than 50 years. This 115.6 acre, 238,196 square foot facility has qualified more equipment than any other company in the industry. Our technical staff lends a broad base of expertise to any program. Many employees are members of IEEE SC2 Working Groups and ASME OM-1 and QME-1 Committees to support nuclear industry standards.
Advanced Dynamics and Structural Testing Lab in Huntsville, AL
When it is time to verify that products are ready for their real-world applications, our clients count on our wide selection of advanced dynamics and structural testing services. Especially for mass-produced motorized products such as components intended for use in vehicles, aircraft and other machines where reliability is critical, there are simply no substitutes for the following types of physical force stress testing:
- Climatics: Temperature/Humidity, Temperature Shock, Altitude/Solar, Sand/Dust, Salt Fog, SO2, Wind and Rain, Fungus, Explosive Atmosphere, Ice/Hail
- Fluid Flow: Air, Water, Hydraulics, Pneumatics, Fuels, Steam, Cryogenics
- Acoustics, High Intensity Acoustic Noise, Progressive Wave Acoustic Noise
- High Intensity Sound Special Equipment
- HALT / HASS
- Vibration: Electrodynamic, Electrohydraulic – uniaxial, biaxial and triaxial, payloads up to 75,000 lbs
- Shock: Classical shock, Shock synthesis, MIL-S-901D light weight shipboard high impact shock
- Pyroshock: Ordnance to 50kg and 20,000 Hz, Electrodynamic to 2kg and 10,000 Hz
- Drop and Pre-Accelerated Drop: Half-sine, terminal-peak sawtooth, square wave. 3,000g amplitude, 100ms envelope, 4′ x 4′ speciment
- Parallel Pendulum: Half-sine, terminal peak sawtooth, square wave. 100g maximum amplitude, 60 ms envelope, 8′ x 8′ specimen footprint
- Structural Load
EMI/EMC to EPRI, Nuclear Regulatory, FCC and DoD Standards
- Servicing the Defense, Aerospace, Space, Nuclear, consumer electronics Industries
- Radiated Susceptibility ~ 200 V/m, frequency range 10 kHz to 40 GHz,
- HIRF Testing 100 MHz – to 1o 18 GHz up to 7200 V/m pk
- Radiated Emissions ~ 30 Hz to 40 GHz
- Large Semi-anechoic screen room
- High temperature vehicle exhaust system
- Five MIL/AERO semi-anechoic chambers
- Extended ground plane test beds
- Indirect Lightning-Single stroke, multiple stroke, multiple burst, Level 5 DO-160
- AC & Telecom port surge, Electrical Fast Transients, Ring-wave, and bust testing
- Electrical power characteristics testing for Aerospace, Defense, and Automotive
- Airborne acoustic noise and structure-borne noise
- Antenna characterization
- Shielding effectiveness, transfer impedance
- Electrostatic discharge up to 30 kV
- Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) to 50 kV/m
- RADHAZ analysis
- AC Power fault
50+ Environmental Simulation Chambers/Systems
NTS’s lab in Huntsville, Alabama, has on-site engineering, fabrication and qualification capabilities with a wide range of electrical power loads plus fault/surge conditions as well as over 50 environmental simulation test chambers, up to 55′ x 37′ x 15′.
High-Flow Steam and Water Capabilities at NTS Huntsville
At NTS Huntsville, we offer a comprehensive selection of services including engineering, analysis and robust testing of equipment, such as motor operated valves — or MOVs — intended for use in operating environments of high-flow steam and water. In addition, our testing expertise can be of great value throughout the entire lifecycle of your products — from evaluating prototypes for OEM qualification to troubleshooting high-flow steam and water valves already in use.
Custom Test Designs for Large-Scale Projects
As projects go, large-scale projects are oftentimes the most important to our clients. Yet when those projects deviate and/or grow outside of the established parameters of standardized tests, who can you turn to for help?
The answer is simple — NTS Huntsville has the in-house experience and state-of-the-art testing equipment to design custom tests, complete with all necessary testing apparatus to get you the results you need in a timely, cost-effective and reliable manner.
Many industries require the accurate measurement of the level of sound that products emit in order to adequately protect technicians, users and others in close proximity to the noise the equipment produces.
At NTS Huntsville, we regularly conduct acoustic noise testing to meet the requirements of regulatory bodies like OSHA, telecommunications companies like AT&T and Verizon, medical equipment regulators and business equipment regulators. We also help companies comply with the standardization of military and defense equipment.
Industry standards that cover acoustic noise testing include: ISO 9296, ISO 7779, ISO 3744, GR-63-CORE, ETSI EN 300 753, IEC 60601, and MIL-STD-1474D (previously MIL-STD-740).
NTS Nuclear Center of Excellence
Our lab in Huntsville, Alabama, is home to NTS’ Nuclear Center of Excellence, including recently merged services from the Acton, Massachusetts facility. NTS offers nuclear utilities and suppliers worldwide superior customer service via a full range of engineered services. Testing, equipment qualification, commercial grade dedication, engineering solutions, component supply and field services are provided under our NUPIC and NIAC audited 10CFR50 Appendix B quality program.
As part of our core competency, NTS focuses on the selection of new nuclear grade components, their qualification, and if needed, their dedication for safety-related applications. We currently offer qualified replacements for many electrical and mechanical safety-related components that are no longer available from OEMs.
NTS certifies equipment for Class 1E installation for mild or harsh environments to IEEE 323 and IEEE 344. These systems include instrumentation, digital recorders, batteries, gauges, motors, panels and chillers from manufacturers such as Bussman, Siemens, Yokogawa and GE. NTS can also provide engineering evaluations to determine the best potential replacement from over 200 manufacturers of nuclear grade equipment. With a focus on solving plant needs, NTS leads the industry in digital upgrades, MCC bucket replacements, motor rewinds, governor rebuilds, modifications to or design of replacement safety-related systems and instrumentation panel and component design. All programs are conducted in accordance with 10CFR50 App. B and 10CFR21.
NTS Huntsville Nuclear Engineering & Test Services
- Safety Relief Valve Testing: ASME Code verification, set pressure, seat leakage, and operability, steam/water/air
- Valve Qualification: QME1, hot and cold cycle testing, flow interruption testing, steam/hot water, modal testing
- Equipment Qualification Testing: Functional testing, thermal aging, cycle aging, seismic event simulation, accident (LOCA) simulation
- Third-party Qualification/Commercial Grade Dedication: Dedicated parts inventory
- Custom Fluid Components Testing: Heat exchangers, pumps, strainers/debris, jet impingement
- Equipment Qualification Services: Failure analysis, thermal and radiation analysis, qualification plan development
- Snubber Testing: Snubber removal and re-installation, visual inspection, on-site and in-house functional testing, on-site and in-hour repair
- Strain Gage Installation: Strain gauge electrical preparation, strain gauge installation to monitor vibration for power up rate activities
- Accelerometers, Humidity/Temperature, Pressure, DC/Low Frequency, Dimensional/Frequency, Mass/Resistance, pH/Torque
- 10CFR50 appendix B compliance
- ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994
- NIST Traceable
Why Choose NTS Huntsville?
- More than 50 years of experience in testing and management of test projects
- A Quality Assurance Program registered to ISO 9001
- A Nuclear Quality Assurance Program meeting all requirements of 10 CFR Part 50 Appendix B and 10 CFR Part 21
- Testing capabilities accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 by the American Association of Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA). ISO/IEC 17025 details the quality, data and calibration processes necessary for the conduct of testing services
- Experienced field inspectors, some of which are trained by the International Association of Electrical Inspectors
Click here to download the NTS Huntsville fact sheet for more details on specifications, tests, and capabilities. Contact us today to discuss your next program!