T: 714.879.6110 | F: 714.879.6117
Mike Shook - General Manager
Orange County’s Premier One-Stop Shop for Testing
The Fullerton laboratory is a massive facility with advanced environmental, mechanical, EMI/EMC, wireless, and dynamics testing capabilities to serve customers across several sectors. A sampling of key test services include:
- Verizon ITL Approved NEBS and Fiber Optic Testing
- EMI, EMC, ESD, Reverb, and HIRF Testing
- High Powered Single and Dual Shaker Systems
- HALT, Temperature, Altitude, Humidity, Icing, Wind
- Materials Testing
- Salt Fog, Sand/Dust, Solar Radiation, Mix Flowing Gas/Corrosive Atmosphere
- Hardware/Software Compatibility, Including ZigBee, IoT, and HAN
In providing expert engineering and testing services to our many client partners in the commercial and military sectors, the Fullerton lab is known for building complex testing solutions. In fact, NTS Fullerton has more equipment, experience, and technical expertise than any lab in Orange County. With several testing experts with 20-plus years of experience, we meet deadlines that others may deem impossible. Our team is full of dedicated specialists with proven track records in their subject matter over many years. No matter your project needs, this highly effective and efficient team is ready to respond quickly with answers and solutions.
We Can Simulate ANY Environmental Condition on Earth—and Beyond
The Fullerton lab provides environmental simulation testing, including HALT, temperature, humidity, altitude, icing, wind testing, thermal shock, HALT, salt fog, explosive atmosphere, dust seismic/earthquake, sine/random vibration, solar radiation, rapid decompression, simulated pyro shock, windmilling, and more. The facility includes numerous climatic chambers, electrodynamic shakers (which include a UD T4000 and a UD T2000), drop towers, and a 28-foot centrifuge. Key environmental testing highlights include:
- Acceleration up to 40g, 14’ radius, up to 70 channels
- Over 50 different types of chambers to meet every need.
- Multiple Temperature / Humidity Chambers from 2’ x 2’ x 2’ to 10’ x 12’ x 8’, up to 10°C/m
- Explosive Atmosphere / Rapid Decompression
- Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT), 30°C/m
- Salt Fog, Sand/Dust, Solar Radiation, Mix Flowing Gas (MFG)
- Temperature / Altitude / Relative Humidity
- Icing / Custom Built Icing (Temp, Alt, Humidity)
- Blowing Rain
- Altitude up to 100Kft
EMI/EMC and HIRF Testing in Fullerton
NTS is an NIST designated, U.S. Conformity Assessment Body for EMC. In fact, NTS has the most EMI/EMC chambers in the Western Hemisphere—some of which are located in the Fullerton lab. NTS Fullerton has extensive capabilities and experience to conduct Electromagnetic Compatibility Testing (EMC/EMI), HIRF, lightning and electrical testing to military, aerospace, ITE, telecommunications, USB cable, and other industry specifications.
Radiated Susceptibility (RS) capabilities include up to 7200 V/m to 18 GHz and 200 V/m to 40 GHz. Lightning Transients testing includes multiple-burst, multiple-stroke and pin injection up to level 5 of RTCA/DO-160. NTS Fullerton houses seven fully anechoic and one three-meter semi-anechoic, along with FCC-listed chambers and a copper lined reverberation chamber with state-of-the-art amplifiers. EMI/EMC lab highlights include the following:
- Radiated Susceptibility ~ 200 V/m, frequency range 10 kHz to 40 GHz,
- HIRF Testing 100 MHz – to 1o 18 GHz up to 7200 V/m pk
- Radiated Emissions ~ 30 Hz to 40 GHz
- 3 meter semi-anechoic chamber
- 40’ x 40’ semi-anechoic chamber
- Four MIL/AERO semi-anechoic chambers
- Reverberation chamber 100 MHz to 18 GHz,
- Extended ground plane test beds
- Indirect Lightning-Single stroke, multiple stroke, multiple burst, Level 5 DO-160
- AC & Telecom port surge, Electrical Fast Transients, Ring-wave, and bust testing
- Electrical power characteristics testing for Aerospace, Defense, Automotive, and Telecom
- Airborne acoustic noise and structure-borne noise
- Antenna characterization
- Shielding effectiveness, transfer impedance
- Electrostatic discharge up to 30 kV
- Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) to 50 kV/m
- AC Power fault
Primary EMI/EMC Test Specifications: MIL-STD-461/462, MIL-STD-1275, MIL-STD-704A, RTCA/DO-160, Boeing, Airbus, GR-1089-CORE, and RBOC Supplements, FCC Part 15, FCC Part 18, EN 300386, EN 55024, EN 55022, EN 61000-6-x, VCCI, and BSMI.
Single and Dual Shaker Systems
At NTS Fullerton, we offer a wide range of vibration and dynamics testing. With more than 50 years of vibration testing experience, our engineers possess the materials testing expertise to be sure your product is properly prepared for its intended market. We regularly conduct shaker testing to meet military, NASA, and ISO standards.
Our equipment can generate up to 70,000 force pounds based on tandem shakers and up to 45,000 force pounds on a single shaker. Shaker testing highlights in Fullerton include the following:
- Shakers up to 3.0” stroke, 35,000 lbs force, 4 shakers to 3,000Hz
- Seismic system with 10.5” stroke, 14,000 lbs force, 0.6 Hz to 500 Hz
Mechanical, Hydraulic/Pneumatic Testing
NTS Fullerton’s engineers routinely design and perform challenging test programs on all types of equipment and components. Working their magic at our Mechanical Laboratory, they accurately reproduce various flow, stress, fatigue, and load conditions on test specimens that simulate actual operating conditions, such as:
- Fire Resistance, Fire Spread, Needle Flame
- Hydraulic/Pneumatic Pressure Impulse, Flow, Proof, Burst
- Tensile Fatigue, Flexural Testing, Inclination, Acceleration
- Fluids tested include: MIL-PRF-83282, MIL-PRF-5606, Skydrol, MIL-L-7808 and various fuels
Primary Mechanical, Hydraulic, Pneumatic Test Specifications: FAA AC20-135, ISO 2685, SAE ARP 1383, SAE ARP 603, SAE AS 4265, ISO 6772, SAE AS 18280, Rolls Royce, AIR 1377, MIL-STD-202, RTCA/DO-160
Verizon ITL Approved (NEBS) and Fiber Optics Testing
A Verizon ITL approved facility that can perform numerous GR standards and primary carrier supplemental requirements, NTS Fullerton can adeptly handle all your telecommunications testing needs. We certify telecommunications products such as multiple rack systems, shelf level products, indoor and outdoor equipment network equipment building systems requirements (NEBS) — and all to international standards as well. Capabilities include fire spread, earthquake, wind driven rain, mixed flowing gas and EMC.
Primary Specifications covering Telecom Testing Include: GR-63-CORE, GR-1089-CORE, ETSI 300-019, GR-2834-CORE, GR-950-CORE, GR-487-CORE, ATT- TP-76200, and FCC 47CFR (ICES-003).
In addition, NTS Fullerton’s advanced Optics Lab is one of the few with the equipment and knowledge base to conduct testing on Passive Fiber Optic Components and Optical Cable. With multiple switch systems capable of both Single- Mode and Multi-Mode, NTS performs physical and environmental tests while monitoring for Insertion and Return Loss, PMD, PDL, and Change in Transmittance at wavelengths from 850 to 1625 nm.
Materials Testing in Fullerton
NTS Fullerton has years of experience in the design and performance of materials tests. We can test metal, plastic, composite, rubber and other materials to a broad range of specifications. Capabilities include tension, compression, hardness, shear and bending, peel and tear strength, and flexural strength. Analytical methods such as metallurgical and chemical analysis, FTIR, SEM, ICP and gas chromatography are outsourced to a trusted laboratory and diligently managed through NTS Fullerton.
Advanced Technology Services
The Advanced Technology Services Group provides a wide range of testing and compliance services, as well as managed services, to the high-tech industry, including computer software and hardware sectors. Originally formed in 1982 to serve the testing needs of the newly emerging computer industry, the team covers computer hardware and software, smart grid/smart energy technologies, consumer electronics, and telecom devices. NTS runs numerous certification programs, including those for ZigBee, MoCA, DIRECTV, and Qi.
A leader in the computer and consumer testing industries, NTS provides high quality testing services which range from standard hardware and software testing to the development of complex certification and compliance programs for the telecom and other industries. With NTS’s large inventory of test equipment and highly skilled engineers, we can perform most any testing, including compatibility, functionality, interoperability testing, competitive analysis, performance testing, load/stress testing, usability analysis, test plan development, and system integration and certification.
High-Tech Certification Testing
NTS develops and assists in the development of test plans and methodologies, as well as setup and testing. Each test project is customized by NTS to meet the needs of our customer. During and at the completion of each test, NTS provides standard deliverables, including complete reports of all test cases executed, anomaly reports for each defect, regression reports, final summary reports, and/or other reports based on the actual requirements or customer’s request. It’s our job to make sure that your product release is successful, and we are unparalleled in our ability to assist customers through the entire product lifecycle.
NTS specializes in testing products for quality assurance and compliance. Our expert test personnel will exercise your hardware and/or software against the latest industry standards using state-of-the-art test equipment. With decades of experience and extensive hardware and software testing knowledge, NTS is the perfect out-sourced testing laboratory for all your testing needs.
Certification and Compliance Programs
NTS also works closely with various organizations to develop, manage, and run certification and/or compliance programs (including USB, WHQL/DTM/WHCK, ZigBee, Multimedia over Coax (MoCA), ISA100.11a, and Sirius XM). With the vast number of industry groups and specifications, it is important that your product function correctly per industry standards. And, if you’re a member of a new standards group, contact us to assist your group in the development of certification / compliance programs. Certification is the best way to ensure a standard’s successful adoption. Compliance and certification highlights include:
- USB Compliance Testing
- USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Certification testing of devices and system/hub/host controllers
- USB 2.0 High-speed, full/low-speed devices, silicon, and system/hub/host controllers
- USB On-The-Go for high-speed and full-speed products
- USB Embedded Host testing for high-speed and full-speed products
- Wireless USB certification testing
- ZigBee Certification
- ZigBee Platform (PHY, MAC & ZCP) and ZigBee Network Devices (Gateways, etc.)
- Smart Energy Profile 1.X – 2.0
- Home Automation Profile, Remote Control/RF4CE Profile, Health Care Profile
- Building Automation Profile, Input Device Profile, Light Link Profile
- Retail Services Profile, Telecom Services Profile, 3D Sync Profile
- Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) certification testing for your home entertainment networking devices, including MoCA 2.0
- DIRECTV certification testing, covering Hi-RF, Mid-RF & DECA
- Sirius XM certification testing for all your satellite radios – only authorized lab
- Wireless Compliance Institute ISA100 Wireless certification for industrial automation
- nVoy Hybrid Networking certification testing – coming soon!
- Microsoft WHQL/DTM/WHCK – Support for all product categories
- Compliance/certification Program Development
Quality Assurance Testing
- Compatibility – Exercising software or hardware under an array of supported operating systems, additional software applications and supported hardware
- Interoperability – Exercising hardware with a selection of hardware and software to con rm ”harmonious coexistence” of the products
- Stress/Performance/Load/Scalability – Using either actual users or virtual users with tools such as LoadRunner,WebLoad, WinRunner, WebFT, TCL, Test Director, Visual Test and Open Source
- Benchmarking – Using internal-developed or third-party benchmark tools
- Competitive Analysis – Comparing client’s product with competitor’s product
- Usability/Look-&-Feel – Provide end-user analysis with various user experience (i.e., novice, intermediate, expert, etc.)
- Website Testing – Functionality, Browser Compatibility, Load/Stress/Performance using automation tools such as LoadRunner or WebLoad
- Security – Test to various security standards such as Common Criteria, ICSA, IEEE 802.1x, etc. using various third-party tools
- Localization – Software compatibility and functionality test across 35 different languages, such as FIGS, CCJK, etc.
- Test Plan/Test Case Development – Develop customized test plan/test case based on client’s specification and/or product documentation
If you’re unable to conduct all testing in Fullerton, we can bring the testing to you. All of our test engineers go through extensive background checks prior to hiring and randomly throughout employment.
International Approvals and Certification
Getting your product into international markets can be difficult—particularly during a pandemic. Plus, geopolitical dynamics fundamentally change the type of markings you might need to get your product into a new country. In the UK, for example, Brexit means that you will need a UKCA marking to sell your product. Meanwhile, new criteria for your product in Russia, Ukraine, India, Brazil, Egypt, and the United Arab Emirates is necessary. Are you aware of these changes? The good news is that a team of experts is dedicated to helping you track every minor change to help you secure regulatory approval in global markets. The goal is to streamline the process for entering international markets to avoid delays and duplicative testing. The international approval services include the following:
- A Single-Point-of-Contact for 180 Countries
- In-country Testing and Approvals
- Globally Recognized Test Reports
- In-Country Representation
- On-going Compliance Tracking
- Compliance Strategy for Faster Certification
Take a moment to view the animation below about streamline international approvals—and let the experts at the Silicon Valley lab accelerate your entry into key global markets.
The Ultimate One-Stop Shop
Simply let us know what you need and we’ll make it happen. After all, there’s only one place in Orange County that can provide you with everything you need. And that’s the NTS facility in Fullerton.