Mike Shook - General Manager
EMC, Environmental, Dynamics, and Mechanical Testing in Fullerton, CA
In providing expert engineering and testing services our many client partners in the commercial and military sectors, NTS Fullerton is known for its confident, whatever-it-takes atmosphere.
Our technicians and engineers are noted experts in environmental, EMI/EMC, mechanical, dynamics, product safety testing and program management. Driven by a fiercely positive attitude that every problem has a solution, we can help you overcome even your toughest challenges.
NTS Fullerton bests the competition with an equipment base, and an edge on specialized experience, that only continues to grow. With several employees bringing 20-plus years of experience in compliance to your project, we meet deadlines that others may deem impossible. Our team is full of dedicated specialists with proven track records in their subject matter over many years. No matter your project needs, this highly effective and efficient team is ready to respond quickly with answers and solutions.
In 2017, NTS relocated its Culver City team to the Fullerton laboratory. The Advanced Technology Services Group provides a wide range of testing and compliance services, as well as managed services, to the high-tech industry, including computer software and hardware sectors. Originally formed in 1982 to serve the testing needs of the newly emerging computer industry, NTS Culver City has expanded to cover not only existing technologies, such as computer hardware and software, but also smart grid/smart energy technologies, consumer electronics, and telecom devices as well. NTS runs numerous certification programs, including those for USB, ZigBee, MoCA, DIRECTV, Qi, nVoy, and Icontrol, among others.
A leader in the computer and consumer testing industries, NTS provides high quality testing services which range from standard hardware and software testing to the development of complex certification and compliance programs for the telecom and other industries. With NTS’s large inventory of test equipment and highly skilled engineers, we can perform most any testing, including compatibility, functionality, interoperability testing, competitive analysis, performance testing, load/stress testing, usability analysis, test plan development, and system integration and certification.
High-Tech Certification Testing
NTS can provide the skills and equipment you need to make sure your product is ready for release. NTS can develop or assist in the development of test plans and methodologies, as well as setup and perform testing. Each test project is customized by NTS to meet the needs of our customer. During and at the completion of each test, NTS provides standard deliverables including complete reports of all test cases executed, anomaly reports for each defect, regression reports, final summary reports, and/or other reports based on the actual requirements or customer’s request. It’s our job to make sure that your product release is successful, and we are unparalleled in our ability to assist customers through the entire product lifecycle.
NTS specializes in testing products for quality assurance and compliance. Our expert test personnel will exercise your hardware and/or software against the latest industry standards using state-of-the-art test equipment. With decades of experience and extensive hardware and software testing knowledge, NTS is the perfect out-sourced testing laboratory for all your testing needs.
Certification and Compliance Programs
NTS also works closely with various organizations to develop, manage, and run certification and/or compliance programs (including USB, WHQL/DTM/WHCK, ZigBee, Multimedia over Coax (MoCA), ISA100.11a, and Sirius XM). With the vast number of industry groups and specifications, it is important that your product function correctly per industry standards. And, if you’re a member of a new standards group, contact us to assist your group in the development of certification / compliance programs. Certification is the best way to ensure a standard’s successful adoption.
With the vast number of industry groups and specifications, it is important that your product functions correctly per industry standards. NTS offers a wide array of compliance programs and related test services that not only provides you with expert quality assurance testing but also priced in a way to get you the most "bang for your buck."
Compliance and Certification Testing Highlights
- USB Compliance Testing – Covering the entire spectrum of USB certifications, including:
- USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Certification testing of devices & system/hub/host controllers
- USB 2.0 High-speed, full/low-speed devices, silicon, and system/hub/host controllers
- USB On-The-Go for high-speed and full-speed products
- USB Embedded Host testing for high-speed and full-speed products
- Wireless USB certification testing
- ZigBee Certi cation – Covering all the ZigBee products and profiles, including:
- ZigBee Platform (PHY, MAC & ZCP) and ZigBee Network Devices (Gateways, etc.)
- Smart Energy Profile 1.X – 2.0
- Home Automation Profile, Remote Control/RF4CE Profile, Health Care Profile
- Building Automation Profile, Input Device Profile, Light Link Profile
- Retail Services Profile, Telecom Services Profile, 3D Sync Profile
- In addition, custom test harnesses to verify the various profiles – the same tools used by NTS
- Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) certification testing for your home entertainment networking devices, including MoCA 2.0
- DIRECTV certification testing, covering Hi-RF, Mid-RF & DECA
- Sirius XM certification testing for all your satellite radios – only authorized lab
- Wireless Compliance Institute ISA100 Wireless certification for industrial automation
- nVoy Hybrid Networking certification testing - coming soon!
- Microsoft WHQL/DTM/WHCK – Support for all product categories
- Compliance/certification Program Development – Let NTS assist you in the development of a
program to validate your standard/specification!
Certification and Compliance Programs
In addition to performing numerous certifications, NTS can also develop a certification or compliance program for your company or standards group. Take a look at the programs we currently offer for testing, and contact us for more information. Be sure to check back regularly as we are always adding new programs.
Quality Assurance Testing
- Compatibility – Exercising software or hardware under an array of supported operating systems,
additional software applications and supported hardware
- Interoperability – Exercising hardware with a selection of hardware and software to con rm
”harmonious coexistence” of the products
- Stress/Performance/Load/Scalability – Using either actual users or virtual users with tools such
as LoadRunner,WebLoad, WinRunner, WebFT, TCL, Test Director, Visual Test and Open Source
- Benchmarking – Using internal-developed or third-party benchmark tools
- Competitive Analysis – Comparing client’s product with competitor’s product
- Usability/Look-&-Feel – Provide end-user analysis with various user experience (i.e., novice,
intermediate, expert, etc.)
- Functionality – Exercising the various execution paths, either manually or through automated
scripting tools such as WinRunner, Visual Test and WebFT
- Website Testing – Functionality, Browser Compatibility, Load/Stress/Performance using automation
tools such as LoadRunner or WebLoad
- Security – Test to various security standards such as Common Criteria, ICSA, IEEE 802.1x, etc.
using various third-party tools
- Localization – Software compatibility and functionality test across 35 different languages, such as
FIGS, CCJK, etc.
- Custom Test Harness – Develop custom hardware and software tools in order to perform
repeatable, automated testing on standards or specifications. Custom harnesses include ones
developed for the ZigBee certification program.
- Automated Test Scripting – Develop automated scripts using various test tools,
LoadRunner,WebLoad, WinRunner,WebFT, TCL Test Director, Visual Test, Open Source, C, C++,
Delphi, Visual Studio and Visual Basic
- Test Plan/Test Case Development – Develop customized test plan/test case based on client’s
specification and/or product documentation
Sometimes you just need a couple test engineers onsite at your location. We provide test engineers for specific, discrete projects. These may be one-offs or long term, and may be in any of the various areas that we provided skilled testing, certification or development services for.
Say you want to perform USB certification testing of a printer, but your industrial printer weighs a whopping 5 tons. Doesn’t make sense financially to ship that monster to us to perform testing – the shipping alone would break the bank. Let us provide experienced and authorized USB test engineers to come to your location. We can use your test equipment (if you have it) or if necessary bring our own. Obviously, we’re not sending out a test engineer to test a keyboard, but if you’ve a need to have someone onsite, we can accommodate your request.
Or you could have a highly anticipated, new product and your security is so high, you just can’t take it out of your facility to our lab. Let us help you out. We can bring the engineers needed to your location to help you with your project. All of our test engineers go through extensive background checks prior to hiring and randomly throughout employment.
Peerless Environmental and Dynamics Testing
Count on NTS technicians for leading expertise in environmental simulations, including thermal shock, HALT, salt fog, explosive atmosphere, dust seismic/earthquake, sine/random vibration, solar radiation, rapid decompression, simulated pyro shock and windmilling. Capabilities include numerous climatic chambers, electrodynamic shakers (which include a UD T4000 and a UD T2000), drop towers and a 28-foot centrifuge.
Environmental and Dynamic Testing Highlights:
- Shakers up to 3.0” stroke, 35,000 lbs force, 4 shakers to 3,000Hz
- Seismic system with 10.5” stroke, 14,000 lbs force, 0.6 Hz to 500 Hz
- Acceleration up to 500g, 14’ radius, up to 70 channels
- Multiple Temperature / Humidity Chambers from 2’ x 2’ x 2’ to 10’ x 12’ x 8’
- Explosive Atmosphere / Rapid Decompression
- Highly Accelerated Life Testing (HALT)
- Salt Fog, Sand/Dust, Solar Radiation, Mix Flowing Gas (MFG)
- Temperature / Altitude / Relative Humidity
Environmental and Dynamic Primary Test Specifications: MIL-STD-810, MIL-STD-883, MIL-STD-167, MIL-S-901, MIL-STD-202, MIL-STD-740-1/2, RTCA/DO-160, ISTA, ASTM, GR-63-CORE, GR-487- CORE, GR-1209-CORE, GR-487-CORE, GR-1221-CORE, GR-13-CORE, ETSI 300-019-xx, IEC 60068-2-xx, IEC 60529, UL 50
Mechanical, Hydraulic/Pneumatic Testing
NTS Fullerton’s engineers routinely design and perform challenging test programs on all types of equipment and components. Working their magic at our Mechanical Laboratory, they accurately reproduce various flow, stress, fatigue and load conditions on test specimens that simulate actual operating conditions, such as:
- Fire Resistance, Fire Spread, Needle flame
- Hydraulic/Pneumatic Pressure Impulse, Flow, Proof, Burst
- Tensile Fatigue, Flexural Testing, Inclination, Acceleration
- Fluids tested include: MIL-PRF-83282, MIL-PRF-5606, Skydrol, MIL-L-7808 and various fuels
Primary Mechanical, Hydraulic, Pneumatic Test Specifications: FAA AC20-135, ISO 2685, SAE ARP 1383, SAE ARP 603, SAE AS 4265, ISO 6772, SAE AS 18280, Rolls Royce, AIR 1377, MIL-STD-202, RTCA/DO-160
Exceptional Credentials for EMC, HIRF and Electrical Testing
NTS is an NIST designated, U.S. Conformity Assessment Body for EMC. NTS Fullerton has extensive capabilities and experience to conduct Electromagnetic Compatibility Testing (EMC/EMI), HIRF, lightning and electrical testing to military, aerospace, ITE, telecommunications, USB cable and other industry specifications.
Radiated Susceptibility (RS) capabilities include up to 7200 V/m to 18 GHz and 200 V/m to 40 GHz. Lightning Transients testing includes multiple-burst, multiple-stroke and pin injection up to level 5 of RTCA/DO-160. NTS Fullerton houses seven fully anechoic and one three-meter semi-anechoic, along with FCC-listed chambers and a copper lined reverberation chamber with state-of-the-art amplifiers.
- Radiated Susceptibility (RS) to 200 V/m 10kHz – 40GHz CW meets MIL-STD-461 and DO-160
- Lightning-Multi-stoke, Multi-burst, Single Stroke, & Pin to Level 5 of DO-160
- RF Emissions and Immunity, AC Power Fault, Surge, ESD and EFT
- Reverberation Chamber meets DO-160 Category L levels, 100 MHz to 18GHz up to 40 GHz
- 3 Meter FCC listed and 40’ x 40’ Semi-Anechoic
- Radiated Susceptibility Pulsed levels up to 7200 V/m meet Category L of DO-160
Primary EMI/EMC Test Specifications: MIL-STD-461/462, MIL-STD-1275, MIL-STD-704A, RTCA/DO-160, Boeing, Airbus, GR-1089-CORE, and RBOC Supplements, FCC Part 15, FCC Part 18, EN 300386, EN 55024, EN 55022, EN 61000-6-x, VCCI and BSMI
Well-Versed in Materials Testing
NTS Fullerton has years of experience in the design and performance of materials tests. We can test metal, plastic, composite, rubber and other materials to a broad range of specifications. Capabilities include tension, compression, hardness, shear and bending, peel and tear strength, and flexural strength. Analytical methods such as metallurgical and chemical analysis, FTIR, SEM, ICP and gas chromatography are outsourced to a trusted laboratory and diligently managed through NTS Fullerton.
Verizon ITL Approved (NEBS)
A Verizon ITL approved facility that can perform numerous GR standards and primary carrier supplemental requirements, NTS Fullerton can adeptly handle all your telecommunications testing needs. We certify telecommunications products such as multiple rack systems, shelf level products, indoor and outdoor equipment network equipment building systems requirements (NEBS) — and all to international standards as well. Capabilities include fire spread, earthquake, wind driven rain, mixed flowing gas and EMC.
Primary Specifications covering Telecom Testing Include: GR-63-CORE, GR-1089-CORE, ETSI 300-019, GR-2834-CORE, GR-950-CORE, GR-487-CORE, ATT- TP-76200, FCC 47CFR (ICES-003)
NTS’ advanced Optics Lab is one of the few with the equipment and knowledge base to conduct testing on Passive Fiber Optic Components and Optical Cable. With multiple switch systems capable of both Single- Mode and Multi-Mode, NTS performs physical and environmental tests while monitoring for Insertion and Return Loss, PMD, PDL, and Change in Transmittance at wavelengths from 850 to 1625 nm.