Dana Point, CA
Dr. Logan McLeod - General Manager
Design, Analysis and Testing for Military and Commercial Programs in Orange County, CA
Our defense and commercial client partners consider NTS Dana Point the go-to support system for engineering services, design, testing, analysis and evaluation for all requirements.
The team at NTS Dana Point has extensive experience in all aspects of computer aided engineering (CAE) analysis, product lifecycle requirements, failure analysis and the development of custom test apparatus.
From product development to defining design requirements for your product to achieve maximum customer acceptance, NTS Dana Point runs start-to-finish projects for:
- Engineering design and analysis of a new product.
- Complex engineering thermal and/or structural analysis.
- Customized test apparatus design,
- Development for qualification of your complete system to customer-specified
Expert Engineering Design Analysis
We also perform interior and exterior ballistics analysis of projectiles and solid rocket motor designs. Capabilities include software licenses for:
- CREO Parametric
- CREO Simulate
- ANSYS Mechanical
- Autodesk Simulation CFD
- A number of multi-core/multi-processor computer workstations
Thermal Analysis, From Conduction to Conjugate Heat Transfer
We have your thermal needs covered, from simple conduction problems to full conjugate heat transfer incorporating conduction, convection and radiation. Our suite of analysis software includes:
- Autodesk simulation CFD
- ANSYS mechanical
- CREO Simulate
Analysis capabilities include:
- Full conjugate heat transfer in complex assemblies.
- Electronic/telecommunication systems cooling.
- Purely radiative heat transfer for space applications, transient analysis, infrared thermography, parametric optimization and more.
Many of our tools are highly integrated with various CAD platforms, which allows direct import of your geometry to ensure model accuracy and provide seamless integration of thermal analysis with your existing product development cycle. If you have a thermal management problem, our teams of highly-skilled thermal analysts have the knowledge, expertise, and resources to solve it.
Dedicated Computational Fluid Dynamics
From supersonic compressible flow to creeping flow in a MEMS microfluidic device, NTS Dana Point has the tools and expertise to help you succeed. Our highly skilled fluid dynamicists are ready to assist with overall system design, optimization and analysis.
Capabilities include internal and external flow, high speed compressible flow (up to mach 5), prediction of body forces such as drag and lift, fluid-structure interaction, pump/fan power requirements, and more. Our software tools incorporate finite volume and finite element based techniques, both Cartesian and unstructured meshing, turbulent and laminar flow. Depending on your CFD analysis requirements, all three modes of heat transfer (conduction, convection, and radiation) can be merged. Tools for these analyses are highly integrated with various CAD platforms for direct import of your geometry. This helps ensure model accuracy and provide seamless integration of CFD analysis with your existing product development cycle.
Precision Mechanical Analysis
NTS Dana Point can help design your mechanical parts and assemblies to function precisely as intended. Using Creo Simulate, Creo Mechanism Dynamics Option and MSC ADAMS, we have a hand in designing optimal mechanisms for a wide variety of applications. We also optimize design for fit, form and function. Our teams possess a wealth of experience which they draw from to specialize in improving your existing designs. Think of us as your second set of eyes to make sure you don’t overlook important considerations that could cause expensive post-manufacturing problems. Examples of our design improvements include:
- Modifying electrical housings for shock testing.
- Reducing vibration to customer-specified levels,
- Airframe strengthening for new configurations.
- Mechanism design and analysis.
Our specialists can render virtual analysis and design of your mechanism to significantly reduce cost and time to market due to repeated prototype build/test cycles. We offer complete analysis and design services for your complex mechanisms and mechanical linkages, including:
- Modeling springs, dampers, motors, friction, gravity and custom dynamic loads to evaluate product performance.
- Use of design studies to optimize mechanism performance over a range of input variables.
- Sizing of motors, springs and dampers.
- Design and evaluation of cam and slot profiles for peak performance.
- Creation of accurate motion envelopes for use in interference and space-claim studies.
- Prediction of dynamic loading to facilitate design of stronger, lighter and more efficient mechanisms.
Critical Insights Through Stress Analysis
By subjecting your structure to the loads it will experience in testing before it ever gets to the test stand, NTS can identify potential design problems. This can give you the valuable insight you need to address them in advance, and breeze through the formal testing process. Our stress analysis capabilities cover a wide range of functional requirements:
- FEA (finite element analysis) using ANSYS and NASTRAN to ensure stress levels do not exceed material allowables.
- Shock analysis to meet MIL-STD-901.
- Drop test analysis.
- Fracture mechanics to predict crack growth (as required by NASA).
- Material selection for strength, corrosion resistance, fatigue resistance and weight.
- Impact analysis using LSDYNA for bird strike, tire fragments and containment of high energy rotating parts.
- Thermal growth and thermal stress prediction.
- Failure analysis and recommendations for design optimization.
Structural Dynamic Analysis
Many common specifications (MIL-STD-810, RTCA DO-160, MIL-STD-164, and MIL-S-901) require vibration and other forms of dynamic analysis. NTS provides the following dynamic analysis services to ensure your product meets its requirements.
- Shock analysis to MIL-S-901 levels, or to a particular shock spectrum.
- Modal analysis to determine resonant frequencies to satisfy MIL-STD-164 and DO-160.
- Forced vibration and sine sweeps for DO-160.
- Vibration isolation: Given a PSD curve or other vibration input, NTS can develop a vibration isolation solution to meet your goals.
- Determination of noise source and vibration problems and implementation of solutions.
- Solutions to vibration-related fatigue problems.
Failure Modes Effects Analysis (FMEA)
NTS has the expertise, systems, equipment and procedures to properly conduct Failure Modes Effects Analysis (FMEA) for your products. Our extensive base of FMEA knowledge enables us to quickly and accurately recognize and determine where failures are occurring, their likelihood or reoccurrence and the system-wide effect of the failures. At the conclusion of your project, you will receive a formal FMEA report documenting all relevant findings and recommendations. NTS can also assist with the implementation of recommended FMEA modifications/solutions for your products.
“Analysis of Inter-Chamber Energy and Mass Transport in High-Low Pressure Gun Systems” by Ryan Hill and Dr. Logan McLeod
“Modeling of Ordnance-Induced Pyrotechnic Shock Testing” by Dr. Logan McLeod and Santina Tatum
“Methodology for Transient Thermal Analysis of Machine Gun Barrels Subjected to Burst Firing Schedules” by Ryan Hill and Dr. Logan McLeod
To see the full spectrum of capabilities and services available at NTS Dana Point, click here to download the NTS Dana Point fact sheet for more details on specifications, tests, and capabilities. Or if you have specifications on your next project, Request a Quote now!