T: 870.574.0031 | F: 870.574.0037
Mark Peasley - General Manager
Welcome to NTS Camden: The National Ordnance and Ballistic Test Center
Located within the original 68,000-acre Shumaker Naval Ammunition Depot and a portion of Highland Industrial Park is our National Ordnance and Ballistic Test Center. It’s equipped to safely conduct a wide array of severe and dangerous tests on weapon systems, ordnance, rocket motors, hazardous materials and commercial products.
NTS Camden is one of the most complete ordnance test facilities in the country—developed to meet the manufacturing and testing needs of the weapons industry now and into the future.
With more than 50 years of service testing ballistics to military standards, our NTS Camden facility has a full-service selection of ranges to meet all your small, medium and large caliber testing needs. We have ranges of up to 3000 meters in length that can accommodate testing of calibers of up to 155mm.
In order to meet the applicable MIL-STD and defense industry standards — such as MIL-STD-810 and MIL-STD-2105 — we offer all requisite testing on our secure rocket range. This also includes the testing of shoulder-fired weapons.
Our NTS Camden facility is fully ITAR-registered and capable of safety and insensitive munitions testing to meet IAW MIL-STD-2105 and NATO STANAGS standards. Included in the testing procedures is a 12-meter drop from our drop tower test facility.
Arena Testing With Multiple Ranges
As part of the NTS Defense Group, our Camden facility supports a wide range of military systems arena testing, including Javelin, Claymore Mine, Hydra and more. We have more than two decades of experience conducting destructive testing for defense industry developers. Moreover, at our Camden Operations Division, we now provide armor manufacturers with valuable mine blast and IED testing services in order to aid them in assessing the performance of currently used — as well as new — armor designs.
Our test facility can even perform warhead arena tests FM 101-51-3 and IAW ITOP 4-2-813 with high-speed video monitoring systems capable of recording 100,000 frames per second. In addition, our arena testing ranges can be tailored to meet a number of specialized needs, including aircraft components, military vehicles, armor materials and more.
In addition to our drop test facility, we offer all other related tests — from multiple caliber bullet impacts to transportation vibration — for MIL-STD-2105 insensitive munitions testing.
Full Environmental, Dynamics and Shock Facility
We are fully prepared to simulate the real-world conditions that your products— including munitions — will meet once in use. Environmental, dynamics and shock testing are typical prerequisites for MIL-STD compliance and other regulations that military and public service contractors are expected to adhere to.
At our NTS Camden facility, we have dozens of earthen-covered Class 1.1 rated AA&E storage magazines with loading dock access and the capacity to store 60,000 pounds of Class 1.1 ordinance. In addition, we maintain all necessary licenses and permits to handle and store energetic defense products, including both ATF Type 33 and Type 10 Licenses. Plus, we are both ISO/IEC 17025 and DoD 4145.26M compliant.
Unmatched Defense Industry and Ballistics Testing Capabilities
This multidisciplinary test facility is your source for safe, cost-effective and error-free testing of ordnance, munitions and hazardous materials—including climatic and dynamics testing, functional trials and live firings. The Center features:
- Rocket range
- Indoor and outdoor medium-caliber test ranges
- Drop tower facility
- Large concrete storage magazines for ordnance
- More than 35,000 square feet of enclosed, digitally-controlled environmental conditioning buildings
- Fully instrumented small, medium and large caliber ranges
- Calibers up to 155 mm
- Ranges to 3000 meters
- Arena Testing of warheads and weapons
- Shoulder fired weapons testing
- Ballistic limit (V50) of materials and projectiles
- Complete MIL-STD-2105 insensitive munitions testing
- Single and Dual MIL-STD-2105 fragment impact testing
- External fire, fast and slow cook-off testing
- Bullet impact testing using small, medium caliber ammunition
- MIL-DTL-901E Lightweight Shipboard Shock
- Complete environmental, dynamics and shock facility
- 11′ x 26′ temperature/humidity/altitude chamber is capable of reaching temperatures from -80o to 170o F and simulating altitudes of up to 90,000′
- Certified Performance Orientated Package Testing (POP)
- Non-bulk packages in accordance with 49CFR intended for shipping hazardous materials
- Types of packages approved include: Metal drums and jerricans; fiberboard, wood, and plastic boxes
- Lithium battery performance and safety testing
- Handle and store explosives, propellants and ordnance class 1.1v
NTS performs vibration testing up to 40,000 force pounds on hazardous test items like warheads. Our hazardous material shakers function at a temperature range of -150° to 300°F. Vibration systems are housed in a dedicated building suited for 1,000 pounds of Class 1.1 explosives.
For more Information, download the NTS Camden fact sheet for complete details on specifications, tests and capabilities.
Or if you’re ready to roll on your next program, Request a Quote today.