T: 978.266.1001 | F: 978.266.1073
Clayton Forbes - Operations Manager
New England’s Premier Test Lab for EMI/EMC, Environmental, Dynamics and FAA Fire
NTS Boxborough, one of NTS’s 28 laboratories in North America, is New England’s premier test facility. A massive one-stop shop for testing, NTS’s laboratory in Boxborough is able to address the world’s most complex test programs. The robust facility offers everything from state-of-the-art chambers (including a 10 meter anechoic chamber) to hydraulics, dynamics, FAA Fire, NEBS, wireless, extreme environmental simulations, and more. As the region’s most robust test facility, NTS Boxborough serves virtually every industry that requires testing services, including the defense, aerospace, space, consumer electronics, medical, telecom, and automotive industries.
Worldwide Leader in EMI/EMC/ESD Testing
NTS is the undisputed leader in EMI/EMC testing—and Boxborough is at the forefront of helping customers achieve rapid test results for complex programs. With the world’s top EMI/EMC minds—and state-of-the-art equipment—the team at the Boxborough lab is able to test to military standards, including immunity testing up to 200 V/m from 10kHz to 40GHz, reverberation meeting DO-160 Category L levels from 100 MHz to 18 GHz, and electrical power characteristics testing for ground, aircraft, shipboard, and submarine applications.
Once you step into the laboratory, you quickly notice that you can get virtually every type of electromagnetic test you need, including the following:
- Radiated Susceptibility ~ 200 V/m (Frequency Range 10 kHz to 40 GHz)
- HIRF Testing 100 MHz – to 1o 18 GHz up to 7200 V/m pk
- Radiated Emissions ~ 30 Hz to 40 GHz
- Multiple 3-Meter Semi-Anechoic Chambers
- 10-Meter Semi-Anechoic Chamber
- Four MIL/AERO Semi-Anechoic Chambers
- Reverberation Chamber 100 MHz to 40 GHz
- Extended Ground Plane Test Beds
- Indirect Lightning-Single Stroke, Multiple Stroke, Multiple Burst, Level 5 DO-160
- AC & Telecom Port Surge
- Electrical Fast Transients, Ring-Wave, and Bust Testing
- Electrical Power Characteristics testing
- Airborne Acoustic Noise and Structure-Borne Noise
- Antenna Characterization
- Shielding Effectiveness and Transfer Impedance
- Electrostatic Discharge Up to 30 kV
- Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) to 50 kV/m
- RADHAZ Analysis
- AC Power Fault
With the physical infrastructure—along with the technical expertise—the experts at the Boxborough lab test to a variety of standards, including MIL-STD 461/462, RTCA DO 160, Boeing D6-36440, Boeing D6-44588, Boeing D6-16050, MIL-STD 704A, MIL-STD 1275, IEEE C37.90.1, IEEE C37.90.2, IEEE 1613 GR 1089-CORE, GR 57-CORE, GR 487-CORE, FCC part 15, FCC part 18 EN 61000-6-2, EN61000-6-3, EN 300386, EN55024, EN 55022, EN 55011, EN 61000-4-xx, EN 61000-3-xx, K20, K21. MIL-STD 704, MIL-STD 1399 section 300A, MIL-STD 740-1, and more.
Verizon ITL Approved NEBS Test Lab
NTS certifies telecommunications products to NEBS as well as international standards. We provide complete certification of information technology, industrial and other commercial electronic products as well as global EMI/EMC and product safety regulatory standards. In addition, the NTS Boxborough lab is one of several NTS facilities to hold Verizon ITL certification for environmental and dynamic testing.
Environmental Testing at NTS Boxborough
NTS is the largest independent company for environmental and dynamics testing with facilities located worldwide. NTS Boxborough is a full-service environmental test facility capable of managing your environmental test programs in a variety of industries. In fact, the technicians and engineers at the lab are recognized experts who can create a wide range of environmental simulations including thermal, shock, seismic, hydraulics, vibration fixture design, and more. The lab boasts 20 temperature chambers (six of which are walk-in temperature/humidity chambers), seven electro-dynamic shakers (10,000 force-pounds up to our 40,000 force-pound Unholtz-Dickie T-4000), and three shock towers, including a 20 foot drop test tower platform and a 4′ by 4′ seismic table. Key environmental test highlights at the Massachusetts lab include:
- 32 Temperature and Humidity Chambers from 2′ x 2′ x 2′ to 8.5′ x 9/5′ x 12′
- 8′ x 8′ x 10′ Temperature/Altitude Chamber to 40,000 ft.
- 4′ x 4′ x 4′ Temperature Altitude Chamber Up to 70,000 ft.
- Acoustic Noise
- Salt Fog Chambers
- Wind Driven Rain to 100 mph
- Icing/Freezing Rain
- Fire Resistance for NEBS
- 20′ x 20′ Fire Chamber
- Explosive Atmosphere
- Settling Dust Chamber
- Solar Load and Heat Load Tests
- HALT/HASS Testing from -100°C to 200°C and to 50Grms (5-5,000Hz)
The lab tests to a variety of standards, including MIL-STD 810, MIL-STD 202, RTCA DO160, ISTA, ASTM, NEMA, GR 63-CORE, GR 487-CORE, GR 13-CORE, UL 50, ETSI 300-019-xx, IEC 60068-2-xx, and more.
Hydraulics Testing and FAA Fire Testing
The engineers in the Boxborough lab are experienced in developing custom test set-ups for both hydraulic and FAA fire testing. Whether it’s the reliable performance of a complex pneumatic system or the fire resistance of a new component for commercial airlines, you can get the test you need in a timely manner.
Key hydraulics testing services include the following:
- Burst and Proof Pressure
- Cracking and Reseat Pressure
- High and Low Temperature (Fluid and Environment)
- Static Pressures to 30,000 psig
- Temperatures from -55°C to 135°C
- Flows of 40 GPM
- Phosphate Ester (Skydrol) and Hydrocarbon Test Stands
We regularly conduct hydraulics testing to meet the standards and requirements of the following leading organizations:
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
- Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics (RTCA)
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
FAA fire testing is often conducted to meet different specifications. At the Boxborough lab, we commonly test to the following specifications:
- RTCA DO-160 Section 26
- ISO 2685
- FAA AC20-135
- FAA Powerplant Engineering Report No. 3A
- FAR Part 25
Dynamics Testing in Boxborough
Dynamic testing is essential in a variety of products, components, and systems. This is particularly true for motorized systems, especially those intended for mass production like automobiles and airplanes, must adhere to strict operational requirements—even when subjected to various levels of vibrations, noises, pressures and other potentially disruptive forces. This is when dynamics testing such as acoustic, drop, impact, thermal shock, vibration, corrosion, and other forms of stress testing can give manufacturers the assurance that their products are ready for use. At the Boxborough lab, you get access to a wide range of dynamic testing services using a combination of electro-dynamic shaker systems, seismic systems, acceleration, static and dynamic loading, and more.
Electro-Dynamic Shaker Systems
The New England lab is equipped with several electro-dynamic shaker systems. Notable equipment at the lab include the following:
- T2000-3-PB 3″ Stroke, 25,000 Force Pounds. Sine, 23,000 Force Pounds Random, 67,000 Force Pounds Shock, F2000 Field Power Supply and Heat Exchanger (2-Bays), Series / Parallel Stators for High SRS Shock
- T4000 1.75″ Stroke, 120″/Second, Velocity 40,000 Force Pounds
- T4000 1.0″ Stroke, 90″/Second, Velocity 28,000 Force Pounds
- T1000 (4 Systems) 1″ Stroke, 90″/Second, Velocity 19,000 Force Pounds
- V-895 2.5″ Stroke, 65″/Second, Velocity 13,000 Force Pounds
Seismic Systems and Acceleration Services
At the Boxborough lab, you can get seismic simulations using 16 KIP 10″ stroke, 40″/second, 4′ square tables. In addition, you can measure the stress of your product or component using the labs acceleration system, which includes a 40″ Arm that can reach 100g.
Static and Dynamic Loading
Whether you need static or dynamic loading, you can get the test set up that works for you. As you prepare for testing, please note that the lab can test to a variety of standards, including MIL-STD 810, MIL-STD 202, MIL-STD-883, MIL-STD-740, MIL-STD-167, RTCA DO160, ISTA, ASTM, GR 63-CORE, ATIS, GR 487-CORE, GR 13-CORE, ETSI 300-019-xx, IEC 60068-2-xx, and more.
Custom Engineering Services
With engineers who sit on advisory boards, author technical papers, and shape industry standards, you get access to experts who can customize any type of test. As a result, we can assist you with providing a product assessment, defining the proper requirements for design, outlining the test program, and providing quality verification to achieve maximum customer acceptance, and saving money.
Click here to download the NTS Boxborough fact sheet for more details on specifications, tests, and capabilities. Call us at (800) 270-2516 or click the button below—and get started with top experts who can meet all of your test requirements while keeping you on schedule.