Fluid Test EngineerJanuary 8, 2019
NTS in Santa Clarita, CA, is seeking a Fluids Test Engineer to support flow testing of cryogenic (LH3, and LN2) and non-cryogenic (high-pressure gasses, hydraulic and fuels) fluids for the purposes of qualifying aerospace and defense related products and systems. The Fluids/Mechanical test department conducts a variety of fluid and load testing. Testing may also involve dynamics, acceleration and climatics test. The Fluids/Mechanical Test Engineer will provide technical support to the department, Program Managers, internal and external customers. This is a fast paced, but exciting career opportunity where decisions will be recognized as authoritative and have an impact on services and related activities for the division. Must have a Bachelor in Science in Mechanical Engineering and 2 or more years’ experience in the design, setup, and testing or processing of fluid, fuel and or gas components and or systems OR we will consider a recent BSME or Physics graduate with project, work or internship experience related to fluid dynamics, CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) or airflow, fuel or cryogenic testing.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
The qualified candidate will be responsible for the schedule and technical success of the project output within the constraints of the allocated budget. He/she will also provide the engineering, technical oversight and hands-on technical and testing support to design test setup(s) and conduct fluid testing to include testing of fuels, liquid/gaseous helium and nitrogen components. This will encompass but is not limited to the following:
• Knowledgeable in physics, mechanical engineering, materials properties, thermal design/ response, heat transfer, fluid flow, and control systems
• Strong understanding of pressure, temperature and flow measurement instrumentation
• Experience with Testing and Usage of Heat Exchangers [Gas to Gas, Gas to Liquid, Liquid to Liquid]
• Aerospace testing of Low and High temperature testing of fuel components. Particularly inlet fuel temps./ ramp rates for “low” to “high” flow rate and pressure systems
• Hot and cold pneumatics (air, nitrogen), hydraulic fluids and fuel icing/de-congealing testing, and Contamination testing (fuel, air/inert gas)
• Provide input for completion of BOM (Bill of Materials) and BOE (Basis of Estimate) in support of quote requests to the NTS AE/Sales Team and/or customers as required
• Design (calculations, schematics, drawings, etc.) the required fluid and mechanical test design (test setup)
• Identify safety hazards and implement risk reduction activities to mitigate identified hazards
• Provide cost and schedule input required to implement test design
• Oversee and provide hands-on approach to install and activate the fluid and mechanical system setup while coordinating with data acquisition and instrumentation/control personnel
• Develop, refine and implement various Test Operating Procedures
• Interface with NTS personnel and vendors to procure and/or manufacture components in support of ongoing test and facility activities
• Prepare/interpretation of detailed drawings, schematics, procedures, log sheets, and test reports as required
• General Functions:
o Conduct test – function as the lead test conductor; Collect the required data and support test report publication
o Attend and actively participate in operations meetings as requested.
o Maintain a working knowledge of all company policies and procedures and maintain proficiency on all computer programs and operating systems.
o Actively maintain a working knowledge of technical subjects and products assigned.
o Maintain awareness of the competition and industry and product trends. Recommend new products to Product Development for R&D action and development of new test equipment.
o Assist Program Managers and other department personnel with test projects as necessary.
• Must be eligible to work in the US without sponsorship (present and future) and able to pass a drug test and DMV and background check
• Bachelor in Science/BS in Mechanical/Aerospace/Chemical Engineering, or Physics
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in the design, setup, and testing or processing of fluid and gas components and or systems, that includes but is not limited to: data acquisition, troubleshooting complex fluid systems, heat exchanger design, or process control/feedback control systems OR we will consider a recent BSME/AE/CE or Physics graduate with project, work or internship experience related to fluid dynamics, CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) or airflow or cryogenic testing
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong computer skills; Microsoft applications and Visio, and CAD software (Solidworks preferred)
• Strong leadership, problem solving, negotiation and organization planning skills
• Additionally, this canadate must be a self starter and pose the abilities to:
o Consistently deliver performance with minimum supervision and maintain continuous communications with peers, upper management personnel and customers
o Multitask and prioritize multiple projects while maintaining customer satisfaction and work within a very dynamic and fast paced environment Strong verbal and written communication skills
o Support work extended hours and weekends to meet departmental/company goals and customer test schedules
It is the policy of NTS to offer Equal Employment Opportunity to all individuals without regards to race, creed, ancestry, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, national origin, physical disabilities, pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions. This policy applies to all personnel actions including hiring, promotions, compensation, training, layoffs, recalls, and terminations. EEO M/F/D/V
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com