Qualification and Testing for the Next Generation of Naval Submarines and Carriers
As specialists in EMI, Environmental, Mechanical and Shock Testing, NTS has been a trusted partner to the shipbuilding industry for more than 50 years. From our heavyweight, shipboard shock facility to our weapons and ordnance ranges, NTS laboratories are optimally equipped to support systems development and qualification for the next generation of Navy submarines and combat ships.
Far-Reaching Environmental and Shock Test and Evaluation Capabilities
NTS engineers and technicians are recognized experts in the performance of a wide array of environmental simulations, including Thermal Shock, Seismic/Earthquake Simulation, Solar Radiation, Rapid Decompression, Acoustic Noise and Pyro Shock. Capabilities include numerous climatic changes, dynamic shakers, drop towers and a 28-foot centrifuge. Our engineers routinely design performance test and shock/vibration fixtures to meet unique technical requirements. And when it comes to advanced equipment, our numerous climatic chambers, shakers and Naval Sea Systems Command-approved heavyweight shock facility are at your service.
Specific Tests and Test Equipment:
- Multiple Temperature/Humidity Chambers, from 2′ x 2′ x 2′ to 25′ x 25′ x 15′
- Temperature/Humidity/Altitude Chambers
- Explosive Atmosphere
- Salt Fog
- Sand and Dust
- Solar Radiation
- Mix Flowing Gas (MFG), Air Contaminants
- Shakers up to 2.0″ stroke, 45,000 force lbs, dual shakers up to 70,000 force lbs, 4-3,000 Hz.
- Seismic system with 10.5″ stroke, 14,000 force lbs., 0.6 Hz to 500 Hz.
- Acceleration up to 750g, 7′ up to 25′ radius, up to 70 channels.
- Shock,7′ specimin up to 750g, including shipboard heavyweight and pyro-shock
- Acoustic noise testing
- Pitch and Roll testing
Unparalleled EMI / EMC Testing Capabilities
NTS offers extensive capabilities and experience for conducting Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) radiated and conducted testing in accordance with MIL-STD-461 (A – G) and platform specific test requirements. EMC/EMI test capabilities include:
- 200 V/m (10 KHz – 40 GHz) susceptibility testing.
- Up to 65-foot shielded anechoic-lined test chambers.
- 100 MHz LUF electromagnetic reverberation chambers capable of achieving up to 10 kV/m.
- DC magnetic field testing to 50 Oersteads.
- Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Testing to MIL-STD-461 “RS105”.
NTS also has near-strike and direct-effect lightning capabilities. NTS is experienced in RADHAZ evaluations for stationary and portable transmitters to HERO, HERP and HERF requirements, and offers HERO test services to munitions developers in accordance with MIL-HDBK-240.
EMC/EMI Tests Include:
- Radiated Susceptibility 200(+) V/m 10 kHz – 40 GHz, HIRF test levels up to 10 kV/m to 18 GHz.
- Lightning – Multiple Stroke, Multiple Burst, Indirect and Direct effects testing up to 200kA, 1.5 MV.
- RF Emissions and Immunity.
- AC Power Fault, Surge, ESD and EFT.
- RADHAZ evaluations.
- HERO testing for munitions developers in accordance with MIL-HDBK-240.
- DC magnetic field immunity testing to 50 Gauss/Oersteads 2.5m helmholtz coils.
- Anechoic rooms up to 65’L x 42’W x 30’H.
- 100 MHz LUF Electromagnetic Reverberation chambers.
- MIL-STD 461/462, MIL-STD 1275 and MIL-STD 704A
- RTCA/DO-160, RS101 and RS103
- CS101, CE101 and CE102
- RE101 and RE102
- IAW MIL-STD-1399, Structure and Airborne Noise IAW 740-1, IAW, 740-2, and DC MAG Field IAW DOD-STD-1399
Perfecting Performance with Mechanical and Hydraulic/Pneumatic Testing
NTS’s Mechanical Laboratory and its engineers routinely design and perform challenging test programs on all types of equipment and components. NTS engineers accurately reproduce various flow, stress and fatigue conditions that simulate actual operational parameters.
Specific Tests Include:
- Fire Resistance, Fire Spread and Needleflame.
- Hydraulic/Pneumatics Pressure Impulse, Flow, Proof and Burst.
- Load Test, Tensile Fatigue and Flexural Testing.
- Fuel Contamination and Fuel Icing
- SAE ARP 1383, SAE ARP 603, SAE AS 4265 and SAE AS 18280
- ISO 6772
Leading Edge MIL-DTL-901E Shock Testing
NTS has a full-spectrum test and research facility dedicated to Navy Environmental Qualification Testing. NTS can support MIL-DTL-901E (previously MIL-S-901D) Heavyweight, Medium-weight and Lightweight shock testing and MIL-STD-167 vibration testing. NTS also houses the new Deck Simulating Shock Machine (DSSM) approved for use under the MIL-S-901E. The DSSM can be used to qualify Class II components in a laboratory in lieu of Heavyweight barge testing.
Specific Tests Include:
- Certified by Naval Sea Systems Command.
- Three floating test platforms for MIL-S-901D testing.
- Two Floating Shock Platforms (FSP) 16’ x 28’ ~ test loads up to 70,000 pounds (Qty.2).
- EFSP 16’ x 46’ ~ test loads up to 125,000 pounds
- Deck Simulating Shock Machine (DSSM) – Class II payloads up to 2,400 lbs.
- MIL-DTL-901E Heavyweight and Lightweight
Ready to roll? Contact us to discuss your upcoming testing programs today at 800.270.2516 or Request a Quote now.