Protecting the Protectors
Keeping Americans safe at home and all over the world is a calling for the thousands of the brilliant, highly trained and dedicated people who engineer the programs, design the communications systems and build the high-tech machines and weaponry that protect us.
NTS is proud to serve military contractors and the Department of Defense, both of which depend on us for essential testing and certifications, environmental simulations, data acquisition, engineering analysis and more.
We tailor our military testing and engineering services to support the activities and programs of the US military branches and supporting defense contractors.
NTS testing teams have participated in the following military programs:
- M72 Law
- Joint Strike Fighter
- Claymore Mine
We also work with defense contractors such as:
- General Dynamics
- Lockheed Martin
- Raytheon and numerous others
As our infrastructure, capabilities and expertise continue to evolve, NTS stands ready to participate in future military programs.
One Source for Test and Evaluation Services
The important relationships with our Defense industry partners drive our single-source mindset. For optimal accessibility and security, NTS:
- Operates a nationwide network of test laboratories and engineering centers.
- Provides on-site and field testing services.
- Manages and operates government test labs.
- Staffs engineers and offers testing services at U.S. Military bases or contractor facilities.
Meeting the Needs of Private and Public Sector Partners
Technical expertise. Accreditations. Physical infrastructure. NTS has what it takes, and then some, to meet the needs of our extensive customer base.
Our Defense laboratories maintain multiple contract levels with the government, strictly adhere to National Industrial Security Operating Manual (NISPOM) regulations, and are accredited to a wide range of regulatory standards, including:
- MIL-STD-810: The “Department of Defense Test Method Standard for Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests” covers the environmental factors encountered during the use of military equipment in all stages of its service life. MIL-STD-810 testing involves replicating these conditions in a controlled laboratory environment through the use of temperature, humidity, shock, vibration, acceleration and other simulation equipment.
- MIL-STD-461: The “Department of Defense Requirements for the Control of Electromagnetic Interference Characteristics of Subsystems and Equipment” covers the EMC and EMI requirements for all electrical and electronic equipment used in defense applications. NTS can perform MIL-STD-461 testing in-house using highly controlled, anechoic chambers. We can also conduct MIL-STD-461 testing for components that are too large or too expensive to transport to an NTS location.
- MIL-STD-2105: The “Department of Defense Test Method Standard Hazard Assessment Tests For Non-Nuclear Munitions” involves fragment impact testing, external fire, fast and slow cook-off testing and bullet-impact testing using small- and medium-caliber ammunition. Our National Ordnance and Ballistics Center is equipped with multiple firing ranges and sophisticated monitoring equipment to perform testing to all MIL-STD-2105 requirements.
- MIL-DTL-901E (Previously MIL-S-901D): The “Department of Defense Requirements for Shock Tests, High Impact, Shipboard Machinery, Equipment, and Systems” is the military standard governing shock-resistance requirements for shipboard equipment. MIL-DTL-901E certification is required for principle devices, subsidiary components and subassembly components, including both those that are essential for safety and combat, and those that could become hazardous to the crew if exposed to shock. Shock testing to MIL-DTL-910E standards can be performed at NTS labs across the country. In fact, our Rustburg, VA location is equipped with a 36-acre, 1,800 x 250 x 130-ft. quarry for heavyweight applications.
- MIL-STD-167: The “Department of Defense Test Method Standard: Mechanical Vibrations of Shipboard Equipment” is similar to MIL-DTL-901E, but specifically covers the effects of environmentally and internally excited vibrations on shipboard equipment. Replicating these factors in a controlled laboratory environment requires powerful shakers and precise instrumentation. NTS maintains some of the best-equipped facilities in the country for MIL-STD-167 vibration testing.
We can also provide testing to other defense standards, such as:
- MIL-STD-120 (gage inspection)
- MIL-STD-248 (welding and brazing procedures)
- MIL-STD-516 (airworthiness)
- MIL-STD-767 (control of hardware cleanliness)
Extensive Military Testing and Evaluation Services
- Extreme and Combined Environment Simulation and Military Testing
- Hazard Classification, Transportation and Packaging Safety Testing
- Ballistics Testing
- Mechanical Stress, Strain and Functional Testing
- Performance, Safety and Functional Testing
- Qualification, First Article Testing (FAT) and Lot Acceptance Testing (LAT)
- Quality Assurance Registration and Certification
- Static and Dynamic Firings of Weapons and Ordnance
- Armor testing for Military and Law Enforcement applications
- Technical Staffing and Engineering Support
- Test Program Management, Planning and Procedures
- Defense-specific Testing & Certifications
In addition to the major NTS Defense categories listed above, we provide a multitude of related services, as well as many types of customer-defined engineering projects covering a broad range of specialized services. To learn more, visit:
Ready to discuss your project or requirements?